The Student Room Group

Full time student or not?

Hi, I'm a full time parent/carer I have a disabled child and 2 more dependent children (3 in total),
My husband Is working full time on 27250 a year we currently get carers allowance and universal credit and child benifit as a family.
I'm at a point of deciding if I can afford to be a full time student doing a undergraduate with the intention of doing a top up then teacher traing so 4 years in total. I'm only willing to do this if financially my family won't suffer. Can't get my head round the finance
I qualify for tuition fees and mantance loan of 9899 but unsure how much my universal credit will go down and if I'm worse off by how much.

Any help??
Universal credit and student loans are very complicated. Your best bet is to contact them directly and speak to them - both my husband and I were on UC while being students with one child. We were only entitled to payments during the summer when we didn't receive any maintenance loan (so June to September). Obviously, your circumstances are different.

They can't classify a specific amount of finance as income; it was around £4k when I studied a few years ago.

You should also be entitled to additional grants as a parent. I think it's about £3k there, too, so make sure you've selected those on your application. There are also childcare grants should you need them - grants are exempt from UC calculations, too.
Original post by Mrs.S16
Hi, I'm a full time parent/carer I have a disabled child and 2 more dependent children (3 in total),
My husband Is working full time on 27250 a year we currently get carers allowance and universal credit and child benifit as a family.
I'm at a point of deciding if I can afford to be a full time student doing a undergraduate with the intention of doing a top up then teacher traing so 4 years in total. I'm only willing to do this if financially my family won't suffer. Can't get my head round the finance
I qualify for tuition fees and mantance loan of 9899 but unsure how much my universal credit will go down and if I'm worse off by how much.

Any help??

The following website might help explain things:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/get-support/information-for-your-situation/full-time-students-and-benefits/who-is-a-full-time-student-for-benefit-purposes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending