The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from N5 Spanish to crashing Higher French??

For context, I’m a student in Scotland studying Nat 5 spanish and while i won’t go into detail, the way my course choices line up i am unable to take it next year. I’ve thought about picking it up in my last year of school, but i will still have to maintain my level of spanish so i don’t forget it, and there is also the risk the class won’t run - so I’d effectively have been keeping up with spanish for nothing. As i want a language, i could switch to French - but it’s a risk. Ideally i want to get an A or B, is it possible to make the switch quickly?? I’d be studying it along side all highers in maths, classical studies, english, and art.
Original post by ivoryyroses
For context, I’m a student in Scotland studying Nat 5 spanish and while i won’t go into detail, the way my course choices line up i am unable to take it next year. I’ve thought about picking it up in my last year of school, but i will still have to maintain my level of spanish so i don’t forget it, and there is also the risk the class won’t run - so I’d effectively have been keeping up with spanish for nothing. As i want a language, i could switch to French - but it’s a risk. Ideally i want to get an A or B, is it possible to make the switch quickly?? I’d be studying it along side all highers in maths, classical studies, english, and art.

Hi @ivoryyroses 🙂 If you're doing well with Nat 5 Spanish, have a love for languages and your school is ok with you taking the Higher French without the Nat 5 then I'd say you'll do well. French and Spanish are similar in their roots, so many students find it do-able to move between the two languages. I was similar to you when I was at uni - except in the opposite way as I had a French basis and picked up Spanish, but was able to get on ok with the Spanish!

Keeping up with the French in S5 would then hopefully serve you well in S6 if you circled back to take your Higher Spanish later on. If you go for it - ask your teachers what sort of content you should be familiar with ahead of the Higher (e.g. any grammar/vocabulary important from N5) so you can start to wrap your head around it. If you're keen to do it and are ready to do a wee bit extra prep ahead of time then I'd say it's definitely possible.

Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending