The Student Room Group

Will P4,P5&P6 be helping my study of Economics at uni?

Hi, I just started my Upper sixth year this month and am thinking of taking Further Maths to AS. Thus I need to choose 3 modules to complete the AS course. I'm just wondering if these pure maths modules will be really helpful with my study of Econ at unis like Cambridge or LSE? I've looked at their course structures and think they involve quite a lot of maths. But I'm not quite sure which area of maths will be particularly useful( I'd like to think it's more about pure maths than M or D).
P.S I'm taking Maths, Economics and Chemistry to full A-levels and have got an AS Business Studies, in which I got an A.

Thank u in advance for any opinion offered!
Reply 1
Statistics will be most useful for economics althought differential equations also pop up in economics degree..depreciation model etc...so take stats/pure modules dont take mechanics at all... :smile:
Reply 2
For economics, statistics is most useful, but there are introductory courses at most unis if you haven't done stats before
Try and do a combination of Pure Maths and statistics if you can, statistics is quite important for Economics, as well as Pure of course. :smile:
Reply 4
Invisible
Try and do a combination of Pure Maths and statistics if you can, statistics is quite important for Economics, as well as Pure of course. :smile:

:rolleyes:
Reply 5
Thank u so much guys! :smile:
I'm going to take S1&S2 in maths, so I'll opt for P4,P5&P6 in Further I think.
Reply 6
yumi
Thank u so much guys! :smile:
I'm going to take S1&S2 in maths, so I'll opt for P4,P5&P6 in Further I think.

I'd recomend P4,P5,S3 however if you are allowed then you should consider taking M1 as it will be quite easy for you.
Reply 7
jumpunderaboat
I'd recomend P4,P5,S3 however if you are allowed then you should consider taking M1 as it will be quite easy for you.

I'm not really allowed to take M1 and S3... complicated school policy... :frown:
Reply 8
IntegralNeo
Statistics will be most useful for economics althought differential equations also opo up in economics degree..deprectation model etc...so take stats/pure modules dont take mechanics at all... :smile:

I don't know which specifications you're talking about, but under OCR MEI there's a whole module on Differential Equations and it's a mechanics module rather than a pure module. In fact it's called "Differential Equations" since that's the only thing in it, but it fits into the overall scheme as Mechanics 4.
Reply 9
yumi
I'm not really allowed to take M1 and S3... complicated school policy... :frown:

Well P4,5,6 is still great, I'd love the chance to do them(in that it would really strengthen my econ application) ... :frown:
Reply 10
Qualcuno
I don't know which specifications you're talking about, but under OCR MEI there's a whole module on Differential Equations and it's a mechanics module rather than a pure module. In fact it's called "Differential Equations" since that's the only thing in it, but it fits into the overall scheme as Mechanics 4.

I was talkin about Edexcel, in which Pure 4 is the modules which contains a chapter on differential equations...
Reply 11
ide recomend doing p1 - p6. its always da safest way to do all pure. in econ u will come accros matrix algebra (which is in p6) and differential equations (p4 and p5 etc).

although stats will help a lot, i imagined d2 being very useful, due to its application to game theory.

but obviously it depends on ur choices at school
Pure is better than Stats, the latter is easy to learn once you get to university.

Latest

Trending

Trending