The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

French courses

Hi,
Is anyone thinking of doing, or actually doing, the French outside options at LSE. I was thinking of doing the post-GCSE intensive, I have an A at GCSE but can't remember anything so maybe I might be better off with the beginners. My boyfriend and I were planning on travelling to France and Canada in our round the world trip at the end of university, maybe settling in Canada after we have done our professional exams, so it would be a great help. I just don't know how hard and what the pass rate of it is, and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me?
Claire
xx
Reply 1
I for one am planning on taking at least the French Language and Society 1 (post-A level or equivalent) course as an outside option. I'll need to think about how far I want to study the language (and how I could put it to use) to decide whether I'll take more of them. Right now my French doesn't feel extremely strong but I got a good grade from the Finnish equivalent to A-levels so I suppose the skills are somewhere in there still. I'm also thinking about starting another language from scratch now that I'm still young. But then again, the choice of subject to study at university was a choice between languages and sociology for me. Needless to say which one I chose...

Not much enlightening here, sorry, but I just thought I'd share my situation.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
M.M.
I for one am planning on taking at least the French Language and Society 1 (post-A level or equivalent) course as an outside option. I'll need to think about how far I want to study the language (and how I could put it to use) to decide whether I'll take more of them. Right now my French doesn't feel extremely strong but I got a good grade from the Finnish equivalent to A-levels so I suppose the skills are somewhere in there still. I'm also thinking about starting another language from scratch now that I'm still young. But then again, the choice of subject to study at university was a choice between languages and sociology for me. Needless to say which one I chose...

Not much enlightening here, sorry, but I just thought I'd share my situation.

My choice is between French 01 or some politics. I think French would be most useful to me because to move to Canada one of you has to prove proficiency in French too, and as Matty doesn't have any intention of learning I might as well. I'd quite like to learn too, just for personal reasons. If you are good at French i'd recommend you do it, it'd be an easy pass.
claire1985
My choice is between French 01 or some politics. I think French would be most useful to me because to move to Canada one of you has to prove proficiency in French too, and as Matty doesn't have any intention of learning I might as well. I'd quite like to learn too, just for personal reasons. If you are good at French i'd recommend you do it, it'd be an easy pass.

As I'm sure you know, one does not need to know French in order to be able to live in Canada. The majority of Canada is Anglo-Saxon. And even in the French area not only are almost all signs etc in both French and English but almost all French-Canadians speak fluent English.
Reply 4
Sanctus
As I'm sure you know, one does not need to know French in order to be able to live in Canada. The majority of Canada is Anglo-Saxon. And even in the French area not only are almost all signs etc in both French and English but almost all French-Canadians speak fluent English.

Yes but you get more immigration points if you know French, so stand a better chance of your application being approved.
claire1985
Yes but you get more immigration points if you know French, so stand a better chance of your application being approved.

Canada is the liberal capital of the world. It lets in fuzzy wuzzies from mumbo jumbo lands all the time I doubt that it’ll be quick to reject you just because you’re not fluent in frog, even if you are from Essex.
Reply 6
Sanctus
Canada is the liberal capital of the world. It lets in fuzzy wuzzies from mumbo jumbo lands all the time I doubt that it’ll be quick to reject you just because you’re not fluent in frog, even if you are from Essex.

Are you Hewins in disguise?
Reply 7
What is it with internet forums? People always manage to make threads at least somewhat hostile whatever the original topic was. Oh well, I guess that's just general knowledge.

As for me and French, I suppose I want to learn it more out of general interest than anything else, and I want to be able to read French literature in its original language. I am interested in spending some time in France some day but I'll have to see, right now I have enough on my mind about coming to England, so first things first. Longer term plans can wait.
Reply 8
M.M.
What is it with internet forums? People always manage to make threads at least somewhat hostile whatever the original topic was. Oh well, I guess that's just general knowledge.

As for me and French, I suppose I want to learn it more out of general interest than anything else, and I want to be able to read French literature in its original language. I am interested in spending some time in France some day but I'll have to see, right now I have enough on my mind about coming to England, so first things first. Longer term plans can wait.

I would love to read French newspapers and books instead of the translations, and it is a wish of mine to be able to switch between languages whenever I feel like it. Thanks for coming back to the topic!
Reply 9
claire1985
I would love to read French newspapers and books instead of the translations, and it is a wish of mine to be able to switch between languages whenever I feel like it. Thanks for coming back to the topic!

Heh, I'm such a newbie to forums that I try to rebel against their unspoken rules (personal insults etc.).

Yeah, it would be great to read French fluently but it seems the French aren't making it very easy, often long and complicated sentences etc. And the spoken language is just impossible to understand. :frown:
Reply 10
Sanctus
almost all French-Canadians speak fluent English.

not that fluent in English, actually, as I've heard from my Canadian friend...
I have this funny feeling when I arrive at the LSE (grades permitting) virtually everyones going to have an excellent command of 2+ languages and make monolingual me feel totally inept, speaking as a person who only managed to scrape a C in foundation GCSE German.
Reply 12
Imagashead
I have this funny feeling when I arrive at the LSE (grades permitting) virtually everyones going to have an excellent command of 2+ languages and make monolingual me feel totally inept, speaking as a person who only managed to scrape a C in foundation GCSE German.

perhaps a reason for that being the fact that approx. 50% of students are international, so you'd expect them to speak their mother tongue as well as English...

Latest

Trending

Trending