The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anybody getting geared up for higher history on monday or are you all a scientific bunch?
Reply 101
The Duck
Agreed, the relativity question was lovely. I think I was just really unprepared for all the problem solving - stupid, I know, it was a Physics exam after all - but I thought there would be more KU, proofs and definitions etc. I seemed to revise (or memorise) an awful lot of stuff that didn't come up, which is a bit annoying. But I may just be reacting to the fact that me mucking up questions like the A-B distance one has probably sunk my Cam Law offer. Not too upset though, Edinburgh would be wicked :biggrin:

yeah i have found in chemistry and physics there are barely any basic KU questions anymore, and it is all just assumed knowledge that we have to apply. i have learned all the chemistry but am still just scraping passes on past papers most of the time. edinburgh is my insurance offer too(for physics) although i would much rather be further away from home i think. which college do you have an offer from?

anybody else sitting higher computing on monday?
Reply 102
rts
anybody else sitting higher computing on monday?

Looks like I've found somebody to panick with! :biggrin: (<---that's a very nervous grin from someone who can't remember anything about computers right now.)
What optional unit are you doing? (Please say multimedia. I need someone else to be suffering :frown: )

PSAnn: I'm not sitting it but several friends are (I'm wanting an arts degree but taking mainly science subjects. Go figure :/). History sounds so hard! Best of luck with it :smile:. Whereabouts in Perthshire are you from btw?
Reply 103
Acaila
Looks like I've found somebody to panick with! :biggrin: (<---that's a very nervous grin from someone who can't remember anything about computers right now.)
What optional unit are you doing? (Please say multimedia. I need someone else to be suffering :frown: )

I'm not sure what it's called but it's to do with the internet and stuff. I start my revision tomorrow. My grade in this is irrelevant so I have been concentrating on my other subjects. I'll probably fail but I don't really care.
PublicSchoolAnn
Anybody getting geared up for higher history on monday or are you all a scientific bunch?

Yeah history is such a bitch (its my favourite subject, though) i have no idea whats coming up in it!! I'll only need to use 1/4 of what ive learned - how crappy is that?!

Just psychology on thursday and then... i think i will explode with joy
Reply 105
Acaila

PSAnn: I'm not sitting it but several friends are (I'm wanting an arts degree but taking mainly science subjects. Go figure :/). History sounds so hard! Best of luck with it :smile:. Whereabouts in Perthshire are you from btw?

Ahhhh.... Mutlimedia Technology - the high point of teaching computing. It was decided that the best way to tackle it was to ignore it completely so we were all given a thin little A5 booklet on the subject with questions in it and 'that your lot' as far as the teaching went. It's a wonder anyone passed the subject. I'd offer advice but seeing as I only got a B it would seem ill founded. Good luck and if you find that you haven't been taught the answers to half the questions in the exam you're not alone.

( Did you ever do the paper from 2001? )

History sounds hard and I suppose is in a way but if you enjoy the subject and can write palatable essays ( and/or extremely fast ) then it's a walk over. Greatest subject in the curriculum - if you ever get a time machine you should take it. Wonderful stuff. Only subject in which I was able to fit in a Hunter Thompson quote during my exam.

Public School Ann - What are you doing for paper 2? I might have some vaguely useful stuff if it's Appeasement and the Road to War.
Reply 106
AboveMyChamberD
Yeah history is such a bitch (its my favourite subject, though) i have no idea whats coming up in it!! I'll only need to use 1/4 of what ive learned - how crappy is that?!

Just psychology on thursday and then... i think i will explode with joy

Your school offered Psychology?
Reply 107
Ours offer it from this year, but you have to go to college to take it. They didn't tell us about it until after I'd had my guidance teacher and upper school rector trying to work out what subjects I was allowed to take, so I didn't think it a good idea to tell them I wanted to take it then :biggrin:.

Faboba
Ahhhh.... Mutlimedia Technology - the high point of teaching computing. It was decided that the best way to tackle it was to ignore it completely so we were all given a thin little A5 booklet on the subject with questions in it and 'that your lot' as far as the teaching went. It's a wonder anyone passed the subject. I'd offer advice but seeing as I only got a B it would seem ill founded. Good luck and if you find that you haven't been taught the answers to half the questions in the exam you're not alone.

( Did you ever do the paper from 2001? )

I've definitely done it, but I can't remember it offhand. It's either the really easy one or the really hard one. Was it the one with the absolutely fiendish multimedia section?
I've worked out, that with my coursework marks included, I think I only need about 60% for an A. I got 79% in the prelim but IMO it was quite an easy one (even though only 5 or 6 people passed it, but that's a reflection on my class rather than on the paper imo).
My teacher wanted us to get all the multimedia theory done before the prelim so we could get tested on all three units. So we crammed it in in about a week and a half, during which I paid minimal attention, and probably surfed the net (the rest of the class were playing Unreal Tournament on the school network so I hardly felt like a rebel). Now it seems to me to be the one unit I really have problems with. Can't remember anything on sound at all. The good thing is however, when we practice past papers we do all the questions, rather than picking the ones we want to answer, so hopefully I can avoid some nasties tomorrow. :smile:
Sitting here with my multimedia book in front of me - just found a section I didn't know existed. And I know what's in it has come up in papers before :rolleyes:. Oh can't you just feel my confidence?!
Reply 108
PublicSchoolAnn

I did that last year - the medieval section - and loved it. Index cards! Good luck :smile:

Anyone else doing Higher Chem? :: shakes ::
Reply 109
mussed
I did that last year - the medieval section - and loved it. Index cards! Good luck :smile:

Anyone else doing Higher Chem? :: shakes ::

I almost did it, but went for geography instead at the last moment. Heard it's rather hard, but I'm sure you'll do great at it :smile:. What else are you taking this year btw mussed?
Reply 110
what time is the exam tomorrow? 1pm til when?
Reply 111
3:30pm

(Seat 6, Drama Studio)

I know when and where it is, just not the course :s-smilie:
Reply 112
Acaila
I almost did it, but went for geography instead at the last moment. Heard it's rather hard, but I'm sure you'll do great at it :smile:. What else are you taking this year btw mussed?

It's not that bad, except that I went to only 3 classes (out of 7) a week because I had a clash, and they all seemed to be on calculations and experiments, never theory. *g* So I have some learning to do. I have notes I made for the prelim - well, if I get an A in this it proves something about Highers, doesn't it?

This year, I've sat AH Pure Maths, Applied Maths and Physics (all of which I'm feeling pretty good about, so hopefully that's my 3As) and I'm doing Higher Chemistry 'for fun': my parents are terrified I'll do an about turn and want to do medicine.

Did anyone see the Herald's exam rankings? I'm wondering if they thought everything was as easy as they thought in the first week. :smile:
Praise be to the daddy that is the SQA! They have got to be congratulated on their superb timetable. Bravo boys.(the sarcasm just flows when im tired)
Faboba
Your school offered Psychology?

No i have to do it at a local college (its a stupid timetable thing they thought up) and that was the only subject that had an SQA Award at the end, so i chose that

Its a load of pish, though
Reply 115
mussed
Did anyone see the Herald's exam rankings? I'm wondering if they thought everything was as easy as they thought in the first week. :smile:

My mum was interviewed by the Herald after the Higher English both this year and last. It was fine last year, because I basically just told her what to say to the reporter, but this year I didn't sit it, so she had to think for herself. And how dangerous that was. When every other English teacher was giving a serious, articulate opinion, my mum's quotation was pure Scots.

Mortifying.
Reply 116
mussed

I've been keeping up with them (read the Herald every day anyway).
Didn't they think admin was "fiendish"?
And I was really annoyed that they thought geog was easy because that's the one of mine I'm most worried about :frown:

Yay! I'm finished my exams!!!! :biggrin:

{shuts up}

How'd history go PSA? My friend was complaining she couldn't get an essay topic.
Reply 117
Anyone else shitting themselves about AH chem on Wednesday?!

I wasn't, but I am now.
Reply 118
calumc
Anyone else shitting themselves about AH chem on Wednesday?!

I wasn't, but I am now.

yes. i thought i was doing fine until i tried some past papers :-s eek.
Reply 119
rts
yes. i thought i was doing fine until i tried some past papers :-s eek.

So did I. Chemistry is so deceptive - it all makes sense at the time, but then they throw a "we did whatever to somethingorother... explain in terms of whatever - why did we do this?" at you 6months down the line.

Latest

Trending

Trending