The Student Room Group

What are manual driver's problems with Automatic car drivers. Are they jealous?

Ok, so basically I drive an Automatic car and I go through forums,debates etc and people who drive manual cars seem to have a problem with automatic drivers, why is this? Are they jealous because they cannot afford an automatic car? They say to me about fuel consumption, but unlike most drivers, I don't use my car for short journeys to the shops etc, I'm not that lazy!

Anyway, what are your views on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mostly because driving an automatic car is seen as a cop-out, or that you are unable to drive a manual car.

Every time I go back to driving my own manual car from driving an autobox I instantly feel more a part of the car. I think an auto around town would be great, but for the driving experience you want a manual box. If you just see your car as a utility rather than a source of pleasure the drive an Auto.
Gear-stick envy.
Original post by markyp

Petrol Vs Diesel ?
Reply 4
Manuals use less fuel as you can keep it constantly jammed in 5th 'till it begins to grumble :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by markyp
Are they jealous because they cannot afford an automatic car?

I think its more the opposite - if you don't have a manual they assume its because you aren't good enough to drive one.
Reply 6
auto = beige trouser time

the skill in driving is reduced. They weigh more. they use more fuel. They're much more likely to go wrong. And you have to pay for the privilege. In modern cars they're usually at least £1000!!!

then again i am a manual fanboy :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Simon_666
They weigh more.

That's a new one, they weigh more :lol:
Reply 8
Unless you are a woman, disabled or had serious trouble passing your driving test, I've got to admit that I can't help looking down on your choice of transmission.

You're not in full control - a computer is deciding when to change gears for you, and you can't control when to overpower up a hill or slide into 5th or 6th for cruising at slower speeds until the damn thing picks up on your intentions 5 seconds later.
Reply 9
People who have automatic licenses do not care about driving one bit and just see it as a chore, these are some of the worst drivers and most dangerous people on the roads as they don't care enough to pay attention.
Reply 10
Original post by tehFrance
That's a new one, they weigh more :lol:

Think about it.....

A manual is just a gear linkage attached to a stick. very light.

An auto is a large box with a system in it to change gear for you- it definitely weighs more!
Because you are driving a toy?

Anyway, you can drive both. You don't have to be one or the other. I prefer manual. It's just more proper, you know? I'm in control. AND ITS MORE FUN!

Interestingly, the UK is in the minority of countries that has an overwhelming manual driver majority. Most of Europe (i think) and America drive automatics. I don't know why... is it becoming a culture thing?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Ok, Ok people! I have actually passed in a Manual, but I prefer to drive an Automatic. I don't use the car all the time, so therefore I don't have a weird fetish/connection with my car, unlike some car fanatics. Most people get too comfortable with driving, that they never bother walking anywhere or taking public transport, I'm the opposite, so a car isn't as important to me as it may be for other people. But I never take my attention off the road, so I don't agree with someone's statement of being more of a danger.
Reply 13
If they wanted to, they could drive an automatic. I doubt highly that it's jealousy.
There's nothing to be jealous of?
Reply 15
Original post by DJkG.1
Unless you are a woman, disabled or had serious trouble passing your driving test, I've got to admit that I can't help looking down on your choice of transmission.

You're not in full control - a computer is deciding when to change gears for you, and you can't control when to overpower up a hill or slide into 5th or 6th for cruising at slower speeds until the damn thing picks up on your intentions 5 seconds later.

:hmmm:

Some of us quite like manual gearboxes. I have only driven one car ever in which I thought I might as well have an automatic, and that wasn't mine (Dad's Mazda 323, which was like driving a large sponge).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by DJkG.1

I am not a good driver, four failures now in the manual test (and still haven't passed). Can I haz automatics?
Driving manual is more fun :tongue:
Reply 18
Nothing against autos tbh. Wouldn't mind it. Is it a myth that they use more petrol than manuals? I don't see how it would allow you to be in control of your car correctly. What if I am powering up a hill and need to drop a gear, or overtaking? It would move through my gears and keep me at lower speeds wouldn't it? Someone explain immediately.
Reply 19
It's not jealousy, I mean who would be jealous of somebody who drives an automatic, compared to a manual? The essence of driving is in the manual, no doubt about it. I'm so glad I learnt to drive a proper car rather than a bumper car.

Plus I hate the whining at the higher revs of the gear, while it has a cup of tea to decide whether or not to change gear yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending