The Student Room Group

Girls boxing, your views

So what do you guys think about girls boxing? should they just do it for fitness or should they compete?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They can do what they like..?
Original post by Lorna17
So what do you guys think about girls boxing? should they just do it for fitness or should they compete?

Why should they only do it for fitness? If they're fighting other girls it's just the same as when men box:confused:
I'm all for girls boxing.

I don't like it when I'm asked to train directly with women though. Sparring and pads that sort of thing. I think that's just because the women at my club aren't very good though. I would want to hit women though even if they were quite good.
Original post by Lorna17

I'm going to say compete, mainly because I live in a city where a woman boxing Olympic champion heralds from and thus I'm terrified of saying anything else!
Reply 5
I'm becoming the head of girls boxing and I do it for fitness but would like to compete if I can. Other people are tell me not to as it is too violent and only males should do it :/

I can see how some males won't like to box against females because they are physically stronger, but females should be allowed to box with other females and it still be accepted surly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lorna17
I'm becoming the head of girls boxing and I do it for fitness but would like to compete if I can. Other people are tell me not to as it is too violent and only males should do it :/

I can see how some males won't like to box against females because they are physically stronger, but females should be allowed to box with other females and it still be accepted surly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to do it then do it I wasn't aware violent sport was only for males. You can do what you want don't let gender boundaries restrict you. I can see why males wouldn't want to box females but if it's another female I don't see why it's a problem
If you wanna do it for fitness, then do it for fitness. If you wanna compete, then compete.
I want to box a woman :smile:
Reply 9
i learnt it at this self-defense course in quebec when I was 16, very handy indeed. I was the best in my group of 14 girls...brought em all down one by one :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
At the risk of sounding chauvanistic (which im not), i dont personally think women should compete. If for fitness then sure go for it, but there is something really unattractive (in my view) about women throwing punches :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
What do you find unattractive about women boxing?

Is it the possibility that women may be stronger than you?

Or the look of them being more toned and defined?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Owen Roberts
At the risk of sounding chauvanistic (which im not), i dont personally think women should compete. If for fitness then sure go for it, but there is something really unattractive (in my view) about women throwing punches :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

same here man, it's really weird. Maybe it's the unfeminine nature of it?
girls shouldn't box cos guys find it unattractive and unfeminine? good one
Reply 15
I'm fine with it, its a sport, why shouldn't they compete?

For all the guys complaining about it being 'Unfeminine' : https://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&safe=off&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&q=women's+shot+put&spell=1&sa=X&ei=IqhtUbj9NcLcOc-XgcgJ&ved=0CFIQvwUoAA (Shot-put...)
Reply 16
Original post by arkhamz

it's self-defense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it's just that the sight of people beating each other to a pulp and covered in blood is not attractive, male or female. As a boxer myself, I feel that women shouldn't be allowed to participate in a sport so violent for many reasons such as the smaller, weaker (for the majority, as a general trend) nature of women and the danger that it poses as a sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that the only reason men compete? To look attractive?

You're probably right about it being unattractive, but I'd want to compete simply because I have an extremely competitive streak and it's more fun fighting other people and trying to win than simply 'fitness boxing'. We obviously have less of a fighting impulse than men, but it is there, and boxing sounds like a good outlet.

No, it's just that the sight of people beating each other to a pulp and covered in blood is not attractive, male or female. As a boxer myself, I feel that women shouldn't be allowed to participate in a sport so violent for many reasons such as the smaller, weaker (for the majority, as a general trend) nature of women and the danger that it poses as a sport.

Surely if it's against other women the danger all scales down?

I wouldn't advocate mixed boxing - we'd get pulverised :biggrin:
Original post by arkhamz

So what if it's unfeminine? I love Muay Thai and judo. They both bring excitement into my life as well of knowledge of how to defend myself if someone tries to attack me. Same for Owen Roberts.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest