The Student Room Group

At what point did you make close friends at uni??

??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BOB2014
??

Always made a point of introducing myself to people that were looking shy, wouldn't say it's been long enough to say they're all my close friends but they seem great.

People who don't know anyone in my lectures having been coming up to me and asking to sit with me as they apparently noticed I was 'warm' to people who felt a bit out of place - meeting people here has been the best bit of uni so far.

I think that I could be close friends with most of these people in not too long though :P
How do you avoid awkward silences??

Original post by Abbie :)
Always made a point of introducing myself to people that were looking shy, wouldn't say it's been long enough to say they're all my close friends but they seem great.

People who don't know anyone in my lectures having been coming up to me and asking to sit with me as they apparently noticed I was 'warm' to people who felt a bit out of place - meeting people here has been the best bit of uni so far.

I think that I could be close friends with most of these people in not too long though :P
Original post by BOB2014
How do you avoid awkward silences??

Just a social fact, people like to talk about themselves, and since these people were practically strangers there's so much I don't know about them.

What's their degree? Why'd the choose it? Why this uni? Where else did they apply? What's their after uni plans, if any? Are they wanting to do something big at summer?

That's just academic, everyone is from different places, with different phrases and accents, different cultures, different interests, different languages.

There is just so much to talk about, and I'm happy to sit and listen to everyone's life story as I think nothing's more interesting!

If someone's willing to talk be willing to listen, and be inquisitive - that will form friendships fast :smile:
It took me a couple of months to make close friends last year, I struggled socially but once I made my close friends I finally settled in.
3 weeks and I haven't said a word to anyone. Not. A. Word.
:dontknow:
I liked all of my flatmates, but around a month or so in I had a heart to heart with two of them and always felt closer to those two after that.

Got chatting to people from societies a month or two in, and by the end of term 2 we were spending loads of time together :smile:
Whilst I had enough friends in first year and wasn't unhappy about my friendship circle then, the friendships that have lasted way beyond uni thus far (I finished my undergrad over 4 years ago now) were made/cemented in my second year :h:
Don't worry about making close friends, just worry about making some friends.
I think it was about 6/8 weeks in. They were on my course, lived in my halls (different flats) and I met them randomly through a night out and clicked straight away.

Other friends were made during my course in later years, through continuously hanging out & getting closer, or through living in halls again & getting lucky with an amazing bunch of flatmates (the only time I've found myself keeping in touch with halls/random flatmates - sometimes you don't click with them as friends, you're put together with random people after all)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Whilst I had enough friends in first year and wasn't unhappy about my friendship circle then, the friendships that have lasted way beyond uni thus far (I finished my undergrad over 4 years ago now) were made/cemented in my second year :h:

Advice plase? Im struggling. I commute from home if that helps

Original post by SophieSmall
It took me a couple of months to make close friends last year, I struggled socially but once I made my close friends I finally settled in.

Im struggling so much. Please give me advice. I commute from home if that helps
Did you have any friends before the 6/8 weeks?
Its been 3 weeks and ive only made 2 mates :frown:
Original post by arguendo
I think it was about 6/8 weeks in. They were on my course, lived in my halls (different flats) and I met them randomly through a night out and clicked straight away.

Other friends were made during my course in later years, through continuously hanging out & getting closer, or through living in halls again & getting lucky with an amazing bunch of flatmates (the only time I've found myself keeping in touch with halls/random flatmates - sometimes you don't click with them as friends, you're put together with random people after all)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Took a couple of years; we don't really speak since graduating, mind.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

:ditto:
I was pretty lucky because I was in halls with a group of 5 other girls and there was a mixed group in the halls across from us... And we just sort of became a ready made friendship group. It went without saying that we'd go on nights out together and go shopping together etc. I suppose those shared experiences cement a friendship, by a few weeks in we already had quite a close bond and had our own 'in jokes' . Things move a lot quicker when you're spending most of every day with people. We then went on to live together for the next 2 years. We sometimes regretted not trying to spread our search for new friends a little wider, but we obviously had friends from our course and built up a larger group of acquaintances by 3rd year.
Probably during my first week, which wasn't Freshers, but International Week for me :smile:
I participated in the things they had organised for Internationals and made three very good friends during that those events. I live with one of them now, and the other two have unfortunately gone back to their home countries.
Now in my second year I'm also getting to know some of my course mates better and doing more things with them.
Reply 16
Met all of my close uni friends at my halls on the first weekend. 9 years later and most of us are still in touch.
Original post by BOB2014
Advice plase? Im struggling. I commute from home if that helps

Ah it's always gonna be more difficult if you commute from home :sadnod: I'd say just try sitting next to new people each time you're in a lecture and just strike up a conversation. Starting one can be as simple as "hey, I'm not sure we've met. I'm BOB2014!" and then take it from there.

Just keep at it, basically. Don't give up hope just yet! Also, if people are doing stuff after lectures, e.g. going for a coffee, don't dash home straight away - try and join in the on-campus fun! :h:
Reply 18
Original post by BOB2014
??

i made a nice group of close friends over the first 3 weeks of me being at uni, i have other friends as well but i wouldn't say they are 'close friends'. i met on through facebook and we agreed to meet on the first day of freshers and then she introduced me to some of her friends who became friends with me. other were from talking to people outside lectures and things. one thing was clear though, during the first few weeks everyone seems keen to introduce themselves to everyone so you will meet people you can get on with
I'm in second year and met my (now) best friends the day I moved into halls because we were living together - a few of us clicked straight away and got closer as the year went on.
I also have a few close friends on my course who I started talking to and hanging out with a lot in freshers.

Making friends was a huge thing for me, so I made myself interact with people and go out and do stuff even if it was way outside my comfort zone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending