The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

MSc Computer Science - University of Birmingham

Hi! I was wondering whether anybody else on here is doing MSc Computer Science conversion course at university of birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

I’ll be doing it. Where are you from?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Hamez2022
I’ll be doing it. Where are you from?

I'm from Birmingham what about you? Have you confirmed your offer?
Yes! From Wigan but thinking about commuting.
Reply 4
Heya guys I’ve applied but haven’t received an offer yet, how long was the waiting time for a response please?
Reply 5
Original post by jadx
Heya guys I’ve applied but haven’t received an offer yet, how long was the waiting time for a response please?

Mine was around 2 months
Original post by cinnamochi
Mine was around 2 months

Ive got an offer to study the conversion course too. Im so glad I'm changing careers.
Reply 7
Original post by craftywizardboy
Ive got an offer to study the conversion course too. Im so glad I'm changing careers.

How long did your offer takee to come?
Reply 8
Awww I got my offer today, I'm so excited. Has anyone made a discord or slack, I'm thinking to make one?
Original post by njo7
Awww I got my offer today, I'm so excited. Has anyone made a discord or slack, I'm thinking to make one?

congrats. it's a great course to study. Welcome to the world of computer science.
Reply 10
Original post by Adz2042
congrats. it's a great course to study. Welcome to the world of computer science.

Thank you so much, very appreciated!
Hi lads, I was wondering if it's worth travelling to the University or staying in an accommodation as I live in London. The travel duration is around 2hr 30mins. I really never went to much lectures during my Bachelors at another University but maybe this University is different in terms of attendance and being strict. Let me know what do you guys think?
Reply 12
Original post by Mr Wiggidy
Hi lads, I was wondering if it's worth travelling to the University or staying in an accommodation as I live in London. The travel duration is around 2hr 30mins. I really never went to much lectures during my Bachelors at another University but maybe this University is different in terms of attendance and being strict. Let me know what do you guys think?

Imma be real I didn’t go to lectures much too, but I think previous yrs had a lot of leeway because of covid and online lectures. I do think lectures will be available online, but I think it will be expected for us to be there in person. Especially for the Software Workshop module. Plus I think you’ll gain more from CS if you are there in person, however they probably will make reasonable adjustments for people who are far away like you. So do whatever is best for you and what you think is necessary for your learning. Perhaps when we recieve our timetables you can email the lecturers in advance to get concrete advice on what is required of each module.
Reply 13
Guys who are definitely coming to do the conversion masters in Sept at UOB I finally created a slack for us. Hopefully it can be a place to give us updates of our degree details (timetables/course details), working together on assignments, ask questions we don’t want to ask the professors lols and all round just a supportive place for those that want to do well because a first is a must! Link is below:

Join me on Slack it’s a faster, simpler way to work. Sign up here, from any device: https://join.slack.com/t/uobmsccs2022/shared_invite/zt-1esawtetz-XNKjzXZLdPtnX37weDQgTg
Reply 14
Hi, I’m starting my masters in January and I’m desperate to find out what the timetable is like as I have 2 kids and need to make arrangements to fit them around it. Anyone who started in September able to share some light? It would be a life saver TIA!
Original post by Elenaz
Hi, I’m starting my masters in January and I’m desperate to find out what the timetable is like as I have 2 kids and need to make arrangements to fit them around it. Anyone who started in September able to share some light? It would be a life saver TIA!

hi our current timetable for semester 1 is:

monday:
11-12 lecture
2-4 / 4-6 lab (lab session is dependent on the random group and timetable you will only need to attend one lab a week)

tuesday:
3-4pm lecture

wednesday:
9-11 lab (dependent on group and timetable)

thursday:
11-12 lecture

friday:
11-12 lecture
1-3 lecture
Original post by njo7

Do you require any specific qualifications? I have a First Class Honours In Business Management. Do they ask for any other qualifications?
Original post by jadx

Imma be real I didn’t go to lectures much too, but I think previous yrs had a lot of leeway because of covid and online lectures. I do think lectures will be available online, but I think it will be expected for us to be there in person. Especially for the Software Workshop module. Plus I think you’ll gain more from CS if you are there in person, however they probably will make reasonable adjustments for people who are far away like you. So do whatever is best for you and what you think is necessary for your learning. Perhaps when we recieve our timetables you can email the lecturers in advance to get concrete advice on what is required of each module.

Do you require any specific qualifications? I have a First Class Honours In Business Management. Do they ask for any other qualifications?
Original post by craftywizardboy

Reply 19
Original post by Maturestudent297

no, as its a conversion course as long as you earned 2:1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending