The Student Room Group

MoDesignss's New car Thread

What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax excluded)
1500 MAX

Are you a new driver?
Yes

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
Driving to uni, 30 min drive to diff city

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
not needed

Specific tasks you will be doing?
driving myself to places

Any brands you would prefer?
no

Any brands you dislike?
no

What features in the car are important to you?
dont mind, anything really, the car just needs to be clean

What gearbox do you want?
Don't Mind

Are aesthetics of the car important?
No

Special requirements?
-

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

A budget of £1,500 realistically you just need to find out what is available locally.

You are probably going to be buying a car around 100,000 miles (maybe more), probably look at hatchbacks like old polos/fiesta

Id just shop autotrader/facebook etc. ask friends and family.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
A budget of £1,500 realistically you just need to find out what is available locally.

You are probably going to be buying a car around 100,000 miles (maybe more), probably look at hatchbacks like old polos/fiesta

Id just shop autotrader/facebook etc. ask friends and family.

ye that sounds good, defo aware that i need to look locally and stuff like that just wanted suggestions on reliable old cars
Original post by MoDesignss
ye that sounds good, defo aware that i need to look locally and stuff like that just wanted suggestions on reliable old cars

As said, old Ford & VW tend to be solid used cars, Toyota, Honda & Hyundai too. Vauxhall suck, Peugeot/Renault/Citroen & all other German often a bit suspect.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
As said, old Ford & VW tend to be solid used cars, Toyota, Honda & Hyundai too. Vauxhall suck, Peugeot/Renault/Citroen & all other German often a bit suspect.

oh wow, ive definitely seen a lot of vauxhalls and german cars that I was considering a lot, ill have a look at those brands you suggested instead. thanks!
oh wow, ive definitely seen a lot of vauxhalls and german cars that I was considering a lot, ill have a look at those brands you suggested instead. thanks!

In terms of Vauxhalls you will always find cheap ones, they don't hold value too well. I'm not saying every one of them is total junk, but I got burned on a bad one and had to ride in one of their vans long enough to dislike them, lots of known defects. I should add I mostly drive old German. Audi, Merc Porsche etc, I LOVE them, but I know 1st hand how the premium repair bills don't depreciate with age like the car does, a lot of the older ones are £££ to keep on the road despite the tempting offer prices. (ie I can't in good faith recommend one to a new pass on a small budget who isn't into DIY, also any BMW)
(edited 11 months ago)
The other thing to note is if you do a buy a 10yo+ Or high mileage car (which you almost certainly will be given your budget). You should expect mechanical stuff to crop up. Chances are at the next MOT one or two things will need to be sorted…
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
The other thing to note is if you do a buy a 10yo+ Or high mileage car (which you almost certainly will be given your budget). You should expect mechanical stuff to crop up. Chances are at the next MOT one or two things will need to be sorted…

ye im definitely aware of that aswell. appreciate the help
Reply 8
bought a pretty cheap hyundai i10, insurance quotes im getting are too crazy tho 😭 the car cost a grand and insurance is like 4k??
bought a pretty cheap hyundai i10, insurance quotes im getting are too crazy tho 😭 the car cost a grand and insurance is like 4k??

£4k Is very high but it’s the perceived risk you pose as a new, inexperienced, teen driver. The insurer has to consider damage risk of your car as well as the risk you pose to 3rd parties.

Be sensible, drive safe, keep your no claims and the price will drop.

Id also shop around a few comparison sites, can you do multicar insurance with a parent, or have a second named driver.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
£4k Is very high but it’s the perceived risk you pose as a new, inexperienced, teen driver. The insurer has to consider damage risk of your car as well as the risk you pose to 3rd parties.

Be sensible, drive safe, keep your no claims and the price will drop.

Id also shop around a few comparison sites, can you do multicar insurance with a parent, or have a second named driver.

ive managed to get as low as 2.85k which is still horrific and has a black box, but its gonna have to do...

Oh Christ, you bought the car before the insurance quotes? :frown: That was a mistake.
Oh Christ, you bought the car before the insurance quotes? :frown: That was a mistake.

Tbf with an i10 I doubt it’s the car (unless its cat listed or something). More age, experience & location. I think that’s only like 70bhp. & hyundai have excellent reliability & crazy good warranty.
Original post by mnot
Tbf with an i10 I doubt it’s the car (unless its cat listed or something). More age, experience & location. I think that’s only like 70bhp. & hyundai have excellent reliability & crazy good warranty.

True but you definitely should still check what you are getting into before you buy and it's highly unlikely you can return it afterwards because of the insurance price, but I would agree in this case the car prob isn't the most expensive factor and the I10 seems a reasonable 1st car choice.

Ime sometimes some insurers just have it in for certain cars, when I passed I wanted a 1.2 Clio as I'd learned in one, but was about double the price of a broadly similar 1.3 Corsa.
True but you definitely should still check what you are getting into before you buy and it's highly unlikely you can return it afterwards because of the insurance price, but I would agree in this case the car prob isn't the most expensive factor and the I10 seems a reasonable 1st car choice.

Ime sometimes some insurers just have it in for certain cars, when I passed I wanted a 1.2 Clio as I'd learned in one, but was about double the price of a broadly similar 1.3 Corsa.

I do agree, I always plug in cars into the comparison sites before buying.
Reply 15
Original post by mnot
I do agree, I always plug in cars into the comparison sites before buying.

ive plugged in about 20 cars, all around same price, its crazy i even called up some companies and got 6k quotes 💀 the car is also in lowest insurance group and im pretty sure its 2nd cheapest to insure in UK

so ive taken this 2.85 and hopefully over the next year it reduces if i drive good with the black box

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending