The Student Room Group

MC Firms and US big law and A levels

I’m doing philosophy and theology at Durham
I know nearly 50% of Nq lawyers are from the conversion course- and Durham is pretty well respected…. The prob is- my A levels. I got A*BB (contextual offer)
The only MC firm that would have an issue I think is Allen and Overy…. But they are merging with Shearman and Stirling so nobody knows how they will change
….
Freshfields, Slaughters, and Linklaters either: “we do not consider A levels or GCSEs”, “good a levels”, or “we have no minimum”

The problem arises with A and O, S and M, and Clifford Chance….
Clifford Chance want 340 UCAS points- I have that, does that make me possibly able to work there? (realistically?)
Same with Slaughters- they just want “good A levels”- could I actually end up working there with mine, and A and O- I heard would see my A*bb as equal to AAB

The issue with Slaughters is I’ve heard they are really stringent- but on what?! They don’t have specifiic requirements?

So- are my A levels realistically good for the MC? (Uni/degree is- so A levels are biggest concern) (although ive heard my grades would be viewed as the same as AAB as they are the same in terms of points- so i'd be treated the same as if someone got AAB- but even then, do i just pass the filter like everyone with AAB+, or is it "the bare minimum" that will negatively affect my application

Basically:
how important are A levels for selection, is it literally just a filter, or are they actually factored in- would someone be taken over someone else because they have 4A*s compared to 3A*s and a B? or someone with 5A*s compared to my lowly A*BB
Next- do I pass this filter? As I said- my grades are equal to AAB in Ucas points, so would US/MC forms actually consider me, like… is it at all realistic to even consider a placement there
Basically, are A levels just a filter
And do I pass that filter
Also what grades do Slaughters want? (And do mine suffice)

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Burneroftheyear
I’m doing philosophy and theology at Durham
I know nearly 50% of Nq lawyers are from the conversion course- and Durham is pretty well respected…. The prob is- my A levels. I got A*BB (contextual offer)
The only MC firm that would have an issue I think is Allen and Overy…. But they are merging with Shearman and Stirling so nobody knows how they will change
….
Freshfields, Slaughters, and Linklaters either: “we do not consider A levels or GCSEs”, “good a levels”, or “we have no minimum”

The problem arises with A and O, S and M, and Clifford Chance….
Clifford Chance want 340 UCAS points- I have that, does that make me possibly able to work there? (realistically?)
Same with Slaughters- they just want “good A levels”- could I actually end up working there with mine, and A and O- I heard would see my A*bb as equal to AAB

The issue with Slaughters is I’ve heard they are really stringent- but on what?! They don’t have specifiic requirements?

So- are my A levels realistically good for the MC? (Uni/degree is- so A levels are biggest concern) (although ive heard my grades would be viewed as the same as AAB as they are the same in terms of points- so i'd be treated the same as if someone got AAB- but even then, do i just pass the filter like everyone with AAB+, or is it "the bare minimum" that will negatively affect my application

Basically:
how important are A levels for selection, is it literally just a filter, or are they actually factored in- would someone be taken over someone else because they have 4A*s compared to 3A*s and a B? or someone with 5A*s compared to my lowly A*BB
Next- do I pass this filter? As I said- my grades are equal to AAB in Ucas points, so would US/MC forms actually consider me, like… is it at all realistic to even consider a placement there
Basically, are A levels just a filter
And do I pass that filter
Also what grades do Slaughters want? (And do mine suffice)

Thank you

I think you are good, it is just a way to filter candidates, but they will look at the overall of your profile. Now, down the line, if someone has a similar profile to yours and it is between you and them, then if they have better grades then they will be preferred.

Also, I see your aim is MC firms but don't put all your eggs in one basket, at least apply to Silver circle firm and regional ones, you never know. If you don't want to apply, at least go to law fairs with an open mind and see whats out there.

Now for Slaughters, I think your grades are sufficient.

Have a look at this tracker, it is a comprehensive and free database with, among other things, information about TCs, vac schemes, eligibility and grade requirements, links to helpful resources: https://linktr.ee/CommercialLawAcademy

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by onxure
I think you are good, it is just a way to filter candidates, but they will look at the overall of your profile. Now, down the line, if someone has a similar profile to yours and it is between you and them, then if they have better grades then they will be preferred.

Also, I see your aim is MC firms but don't put all your eggs in one basket, at least apply to Silver circle firm and regional ones, you never know. If you don't want to apply, at least go to law fairs with an open mind and see whats out there.

Now for Slaughters, I think your grades are sufficient.

Have a look at this tracker, it is a comprehensive and free database with, among other things, information about TCs, vac schemes, eligibility and grade requirements, links to helpful resources: https://linktr.ee/CommercialLawAcademy

Hope that helps :smile:

this tool is magnificent- i have already bookmarked it!
as for biglaw/those that want AAB- would A*BB count as the same, as they are the same numerically?
sorry, i just wanted to clarify as to whether there was a chance at AAB firms with my A*BB?
Reply 3
Original post by Burneroftheyear
this tool is magnificent- i have already bookmarked it!
as for biglaw/those that want AAB- would A*BB count as the same, as they are the same numerically?
sorry, i just wanted to clarify as to whether there was a chance at AAB firms with my A*BB?

Happy you found the resource useful :smile:
You still have your chance, if they are equivalent, should be fine. Also, it may depend on your subjects (ie. Is the subject you got A* in relevant for law firms).
Don't dwell too much on your grades, they are good and it is not like you can change them. Law firms look for well-rounded individuals that include academics but not only.
Original post by onxure
Happy you found the resource useful :smile:
You still have your chance, if they are equivalent, should be fine. Also, it may depend on your subjects (ie. Is the subject you got A* in relevant for law firms).
Don't dwell too much on your grades, they are good and it is not like you can change them. Law firms look for well-rounded individuals that include academics but not only.

i'm doing philosophy/theology at durham
A* RS
the others are eng lit/psych

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending