The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL engineering foundation year thread - 2024

Hello everyone! Is anyone applying to the UCL engineering foundation year? If you've successfully applied before, could you share insights on your personal statement and predicted grades? Your guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there, this is the first year that this programme has rolled out. That makes it slightly less predictable to know how the admissions work!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Furkan34
Hi there, this is the first year that this programme has rolled out. That makes it slightly less predictable to know how the admissions work!

Hi, thanks for the response! I believe there was a cohort last year? I surmised this from the student room 2022 thread and UCL page. Apparently only 30 spaces for 1300 applicants! Are you interested in applying?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi amanda! I'm thinking about applying for the foundation year as well. What's ur predicted grades and what course you're gonna apply for?
Reply 4
Original post by Ashdeux
Hi amanda! I'm thinking about applying for the foundation year as well. What's ur predicted grades and what course you're gonna apply for?

Hey ash! I still haven’t found out my predicted grades. I’m thinking of doing mechanical! How about you? What are your predicted grades like? What are you studying :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by amanda23
Hey ash! I still haven’t found out my predicted grades. I’m thinking of doing mechanical! How about you? What are your predicted grades like? What are you studying :smile:

I just did my last mock for my predicted grades today... I'm thinking about applying for computer science but I don't know if it's worth doing a foundation year in ucl then going to a decent uni tbh
Reply 6
Original post by Ashdeux
I just did my last mock for my predicted grades today... I'm thinking about applying for computer science but I don't know if it's worth doing a foundation year in ucl then going to a decent uni tbh

I mean if your grades are good enough then you should definitely just apply to a first year course. I’m applying since I don’t do maths or science for A-level subjects.
Reply 7
I mean if your grades are good enough then you should definitely just apply to a first year course. I’m applying since I don’t do maths or science for A-level subjects.

I do have the right subjects but I don't have the grades for ucl cs and ucl is kinda a big deal for me icl I'm so lost. can i ask what alevels you're taking
Reply 8
Original post by Ashdeux
I do have the right subjects but I don't have the grades for ucl cs and ucl is kinda a big deal for me icl I'm so lost. can i ask what alevels you're taking

Yh I get you. I’m doing English lit geography and econ. I know… nothing to do with engineering 💀
Reply 9
Original post by Ashdeux

u still planing to apply?
Reply 10
Original post by ymt068
u still planing to apply?

yeap
Reply 11
Have u guys done your ps yet
Reply 12
Original post by Ashdeux
yeap

whats ur predictions?
Reply 13
Original post by ymt068
whats ur predictions?

I'm currently waiting to get them from my school. how about you? what's ur alevels
Reply 14
Original post by Ashdeux
I'm currently waiting to get them from my school. how about you? what's ur alevels

AAA maths physics and eco
Reply 15
Original post by ymt068
AAA maths physics and eco

I'm assuming u will apply for cs where else ur thinking about applying
They had an information session online a couple of months ago and explained what they are looking for.
You need to fulfil the socioeconomic criteria.
Then you need to have grades that are lower than the reduced offer for the degree you want to study. If you have A* predicted you will most likely not get shortlisted. If you don't do Maths or Science A level, they look at your Maths GCSE.
Yh I get you. I’m doing English lit geography and econ. I know… nothing to do with engineering 💀

How are you going to explain in the application that you want to study engineering but have not done anything relevant?
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous2040
How are you going to explain in the application that you want to study engineering but have not done anything relevant?

I mean the course is also for people who have picked the wrong a-levels. I’m sure if the personal statement conveys passion then it shouldn’t be a problem.
I mean the course is also for people who have picked the wrong a-levels. I’m sure if the personal statement conveys passion then it shouldn’t be a problem.

What you need to ask yourself is how you are going to show passion? You can't say you always wanted to study engineering, because your A levels are telling a different story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending