The Student Room Group

Should I give up looking for a part time job while at Uni?

I've been looking for a part time job while studying at university for over a year, and I've had no luck. I've applied for 10+ roles and not a single one has asked me for interview apart from job I applied for during summer but I didn't pass the interview stage for that one.
I haven't worked since summer 2022 and the money and experience would be of great help to me.
Some of my friends have struggled to get a job in my city too, however a couple of them have gotten lucky recently. I get the impression employers aren't looking for students as we can't commit to staying in the position for long and will want to go home during the breaks.
I have spent a lot of time speaking to careers support, making my cv as good as possible and filling out applications but it seems like a total waste of time.

Should I just give up as it seems to be nearly impossible to get a job? My friend tells me I need to keep applying to lots of places but there aren't even that many jobs to apply for.
Original post by Dreyver
I've been looking for a part time job while studying at university for over a year, and I've had no luck. I've applied for 10+ roles and not a single one has asked me for interview apart from job I applied for during summer but I didn't pass the interview stage for that one.
I haven't worked since summer 2022 and the money and experience would be of great help to me.
Some of my friends have struggled to get a job in my city too, however a couple of them have gotten lucky recently. I get the impression employers aren't looking for students as we can't commit to staying in the position for long and will want to go home during the breaks.
I have spent a lot of time speaking to careers support, making my cv as good as possible and filling out applications but it seems like a total waste of time.

Should I just give up as it seems to be nearly impossible to get a job? My friend tells me I need to keep applying to lots of places but there aren't even that many jobs to apply for.

I would ask them why you aren’t getting the jobs. If you aren’t getting interviews I’d imagine it’s to do with your CV so I suggest working on that. Local independent coffee shops tend to like students. Also dog walking is a great option. I got £12.50 an hour!
Original post by Dreyver

10 roles is very little...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending