The Student Room Group

Oxford Intelligent Earth CDT 2024

Hi everyone! Been browsing the forum for threads on the Oxford Intelligent Earth CDT and haven't found one (unsurprising because its a brand new course), so I thought I'd start one.

Is anyone else applying for it? What themes are you applying for (I'm applying for the Biodiversity and Environmental Solution themes).

If you come across this thread, good luck with the application!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Was looking for this since the deadline has just passed. Appling for foundational AI stream with climate change/natural hazards. Best of luck to you!
Reply 2
Hi everyone,
I am applying to the foundational AI and climate change theme
wish you all the best!
Reply 3
Original post by oso1
Hi everyone,
I am applying to the foundational AI and climate change theme
wish you all the best!

Oh nice! Similar to me : ) Curious what your background is if you don't mind sharing? 😀
Reply 4
Original post by asubedi
Oh nice! Similar to me : ) Curious what your background is if you don't mind sharing? 😀

Certainly! Nice to meet people with similar interests. My background is BSc Math and MSc Machine Learning at UCL, and my research interests are mainly in energy-efficient AI models and climate forecasting
Reply 5
Original post by oso1
Certainly! Nice to meet people with similar interests. My background is BSc Math and MSc Machine Learning at UCL, and my research interests are mainly in energy-efficient AI models and climate forecasting

Oh wow, your interests seem to match the programme quite well! : )) Looks like a strong application!
I am doing Physics (MPhys) at Manchester right now, doing some AI stuff on the side 😀 .
Reply 6
Original post by asubedi
Oh wow, your interests seem to match the programme quite well! : )) Looks like a strong application!
I am doing Physics (MPhys) at Manchester right now, doing some AI stuff on the side 😀 .

Your background in Physics aligns well with the foundational AI and climate theme :smile: . Combining physics with AI is a great idea, especially since many AI models, like diffusion models, are inspired by physical principles.
Reply 7
Original post by oso1
Your background in Physics aligns well with the foundational AI and climate theme :smile: . Combining physics with AI is a great idea, especially since many AI models, like diffusion models, are inspired by physical principles.

😀 Yess, thats the hope 🤞. Best of luck to you, hopefully we hear back soon about interviews
Reply 8
Good to know I'm not the only still waiting to hear about interviews 😬
The website said interviews will be held in Feb, so sounds like we should be hearing back anytime now...
Reply 9
Original post by radio__
Good to know I'm not the only still waiting to hear about interviews 😬
The website said interviews will be held in Feb, so sounds like we should be hearing back anytime now...

I fear it will probably be in mid-late Feb. Since its a new programme, they probably have some teething issues to get through. I remember somewhere they said they would tell us what to expect for interviews in mid-Jan, but that's still yet to arrive, so they are probably figuring out what the interview actually entails.
Reply 10
Hi guys,
Finally found this thread. You guys have any updates on interview invitations? On the website, they said the interviews would happen in February.
Reply 11
They have just updated the website to hold interviews in the final week of Feburary. So we will find out just a week before that : )
Reply 12
Original post by asubedi
They have just updated the website to hold interviews in the final week of Feburary. So we will find out just a week before that : )

Great catch! Thanks for sharing!
Reply 13
Just got the interview invite good luck everyone
Reply 14
Just got an interview invite as well! Good luck to everyone!
Reply 15
Congrats for getting an interview!
I'm assuming if we haven't heard anything by now it is pretty fair to assume we didn't get one, right?
Reply 16
Original post by stpuko
Congrats for getting an interview!
I'm assuming if we haven't heard anything by now it is pretty fair to assume we didn't get one, right?

I wouldn't assume that just yet. They said that interviews will go out a week prior so you might hear back by Friday. There could be any number of reasons that you have yet to hear back, which could be due to supervisor scheduling issues or they are doing it in batches to see who declines the interview invite, etc.
Reply 17
Original post by asubedi
I wouldn't assume that just yet. They said that interviews will go out a week prior so you might hear back by Friday. There could be any number of reasons that you have yet to hear back, which could be due to supervisor scheduling issues or they are doing it in batches to see who declines the interview invite, etc.

Thanks for the reply - I shall refrain from jumping the gun just yet 😅
I did apply for slightly different streams (biodiveristy and climate change) so maybe that could explain it, or any of the reason you suggested.
It could also very well be that my background is simply a less ideal fit, which would be fair, as my experience with ML might be too limitied - we shall see
Reply 18
Original post by stpuko
Thanks for the reply - I shall refrain from jumping the gun just yet 😅
I did apply for slightly different streams (biodiveristy and climate change) so maybe that could explain it, or any of the reason you suggested.
It could also very well be that my background is simply a less ideal fit, which would be fair, as my experience with ML might be too limitied - we shall see

Have you heard anything back?
Reply 19
Original post by cganzorig
Have you heard anything back?

Nope...
At this point I will almost be happy for any answer just so that I can stop checking my email every half hour

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending