The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham college preferences!!

Hi i got an offer to study law at Durham for 2024/25 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for ranking colleges? I am looking for a catered college, preferably with gowned formals and an ensuite/standard room accomodation. Distance is not too big of an issue since i know everything is fairly close anyway but something on the bailey would be handy.

I am also really interested in theatre so a good drama soc would be cool and a preferably a 24/7 library (like johns?). Also a college close to the law building would be ideal

thanks a mil!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Girlll hi again and congratulations!! I have an offer too 🙂 maybe we'll see each other next year hahaha (or TCD)

Eh sorry I actually don't know much about the colleges... I just ranked them in an order that felt right to me 😭 I probably should've checked all of the details out ahahaha.

I just picked out the top 6 I liked, and then I placed them in the order of most competitive to get into. 😵 They all seem pretty far from the law faculty anyways so distance doesn't matter to me lol.

Lmk which college you get into tho!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Coeoe
Girlll hi again and congratulations!! I have an offer too 🙂 maybe we'll see each other next year hahaha (or TCD)
Eh sorry I actually don't know much about the colleges... I just ranked them in an order that felt right to me 😭 I probably should've checked all of the details out ahahaha.
I just picked out the top 6 I liked, and then I placed them in the order of most competitive to get into. 😵 They all seem pretty far from the law faculty anyways so distance doesn't matter to me lol.
Lmk which college you get into tho!!

Omg hii again this is crazy I keep finding you on different threads haha
congrats on ur offer as well and yess hopefully I see you in durham or trinity!! i think i may be leaning towards st marys maybe?
which college did you put at the top of ur list?
Original post by trehanmedha
Hi i got an offer to study law at Durham for 2024/25 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for ranking colleges? I am looking for a catered college, preferably with gowned formals and an ensuite/standard room accomodation. Distance is not too big of an issue since i know everything is fairly close anyway but something on the bailey would be handy.
I am also really interested in theatre so a good drama soc would be cool and a preferably a 24/7 library (like johns?). Also a college close to the law building would be ideal
thanks a mil!!

Hatfield or St Mary’s
Reply 4
Omg hii again this is crazy I keep finding you on different threads haha
congrats on ur offer as well and yess hopefully I see you in durham or trinity!! i think i may be leaning towards st marys maybe?
which college did you put at the top of ur list?

Hahaha we're destined to be friends 😆😆
I put University college because it's the hardest to get into LOL
I really liked the look of Josephine butler as well so I think that's second for me.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
Hatfield or St Mary’s

thanks! i was actually just looking at st marys and quiet liked it but i havent heard much about hatfield?
Reply 6
Original post by Coeoe
Hahaha we're destined to be friends 😆😆
I put University college because it's the hardest to get into LOL
I really liked the look of Josephine butler as well so I think that's second for me.

haha so truee😂
no thats so fair i wanted to put university college as my top one too but i think they have accomodation in different places so even if i got in i wouldnt necessarily be living in the castle so was just looking at other ones as well yk
thanks! i was actually just looking at st marys and quiet liked it but i havent heard much about hatfield?

Hatfield is alright. A bit traditional with gowns and traditions. St Mary’s is apparently more laid back though.
Reply 8
haha so truee😂
no thats so fair i wanted to put university college as my top one too but i think they have accomodation in different places so even if i got in i wouldnt necessarily be living in the castle so was just looking at other ones as well yk
Trueee
I think I put down st.marys third or fourth.
Btw what are Ur offer conditions out of interest?
thanks a mil!!

Hi there

I think several colleges can meet your criteria, so here's some information that can help you narrow down your choices:

You say that you want a college on the bailey but also one that's close to the law school. Hill colleges would technically be closer to the law school but St Johns is not too far either, with just a 15 minute walk away. The main university library is called Bill Bryson (or Billy B) and operated 24/7 during term-time. All colleges also have their own libraries and just like St Johns, most of the others are also open 24/7. More details on each college's library is here: College Libraries

Based on your preferences, these hill colleges might be worth looking into:

Grey: Gowned, catered, majority of standard single rooms with only 13 shared rooms. They have a Victor Watts library- more info here. Only 5 mins away from the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in Grey- Welcome to Grey College ; Let me tell you about Grey.

St Marys: Gowned, catered and no shared rooms so you have full chance of getting a standard room with the possibility of an ensuite. They have a 24/7 library. Also only 5 mins away from the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in college- Life at St Marys College

Trevelyan: Gowned, catered, and majority standard rooms with a few ensuites. They also have a 24/7 library accessible throughout term-time, University vacations and public holidays. About 10 mins away from the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in Trevs- Life at Trevs ; My college experience ; Welcome to Trevelyan College

The following bailey colleges are also worth looking into:

Hatfield: Gowned, catered, majority single standard rooms but ensuites also. Depending on which block you're in, walking time can be 10-15 mins to law school. Also has a library but no info about opening times on the website.

St Johns: Gowned, catered, majority single standard rooms. Hands-down the best college library! About 15 mins from the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in St Johns- Why did I pick St. Johns

Castle: Gowned, catered and the biggest bailey college with majority single standard rooms. Has a 24/7 accessible library. Has about 4 blocks on the bailey so walking time can be 15-20 mins to the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in Castle- College life

Hope this helps!

-Himieka
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by Coeoe
Trueee
I think I put down st.marys third or fourth.
Btw what are Ur offer conditions out of interest?

i have to get 2 H1s and 4 H2s in the LC. Is that the same for you?
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there
I think several colleges can meet your criteria, so here's some information that can help you narrow down your choices:
You say that you want a college on the bailey but also one that's close to the law school. Hill colleges would technically be closer to the law school but St Johns is not too far either, with just a 15 minute walk away. The main university library is called Bill Bryson (or Billy B) and operated 24/7 during term-time. All colleges also have their own libraries and just like St Johns, most of the others are also open 24/7. More details on each college's library is here: College Libraries
Based on your preferences, these hill colleges might be worth looking into:
Grey: Gowned, catered, majority of standard single rooms with only 13 shared rooms. They have a Victor Watts library- more info here. Only 5 mins away from the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in Grey- Welcome to Grey College ; Let me tell you about Grey.
St Marys: Gowned, catered and no shared rooms so you have full chance of getting a standard room with the possibility of an ensuite. They have a 24/7 library. Also only 5 mins away from the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in college- Life at St Marys College
Trevelyan: Gowned, catered, and majority standard rooms with a few ensuites. They also have a 24/7 library accessible throughout term-time, University vacations and public holidays. About 10 mins away from the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in Trevs- Life at Trevs ; My college experience ; Welcome to Trevelyan College
The following bailey colleges are also worth looking into:
Hatfield: Gowned, catered, majority single standard rooms but ensuites also. Depending on which block you're in, walking time can be 10-15 mins to law school. Also has a library but no info about opening times on the website.
St Johns: Gowned, catered, majority single standard rooms. Hands-down the best college library! About 15 mins from the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in St Johns- Why did I pick St. Johns
Castle: Gowned, catered and the biggest bailey college with majority single standard rooms. Has a 24/7 accessible library. Has about 4 blocks on the bailey so walking time can be 15-20 mins to the law school. Here's a student perspective on living in Castle- College life
Hope this helps!
-Himieka

Omg thank you so so much that is so helpful I really appreciate that!! If you do put the university college as your first one what are the chances that you will actually be staying in the castle?
Reply 12
i have to get 2 H1s and 4 H2s in the LC. Is that the same for you?

Yes!! Not a bad offer at all. Way better than my other one 😭😭😭
Original post by Coeoe
Yes!! Not a bad offer at all. Way better than my other one 😭😭😭

yes I was acc quite happy with it! whats ur other offer?
Reply 14
yes I was acc quite happy with it! whats ur other offer?
3H1s 3H2s including H1 in English...English!!! Impossible.
Original post by Coeoe
3H1s 3H2s including H1 in English...English!!! Impossible.

oof that is so difficult. see 3H1s and 3H2s would be ok by itself but in english damn thats so hard
they clearly dont understand the subjective marking of the irish education system loll
i assume thats for cambridge law?
Reply 16
oof that is so difficult. see 3H1s and 3H2s would be ok by itself but in english damn thats so hard
they clearly dont understand the subjective marking of the irish education system loll
i assume thats for cambridge law?

Exactly, I wouldn't mind 3H1s 3H2s but English is killing me. 😭 Fr all the teachers I've talked to are trying to convince me to use their methods... But idk which one will work better. I wish there were set guidelines and a more detailed marking scheme. Also yep 😭 I most likely won't make it so maybe we'll see each other at Durham 🩷

Ooh btw are you firming or insuring Durham?
(edited 4 weeks ago)
thanks a mil!!

Definitely Cuths :smile:
Original post by Coeoe
Exactly, I wouldn't mind 3H1s 3H2s but English is killing me. 😭 Fr all the teachers I've talked to are trying to convince me to use their methods... But idk which one will work better. I wish there were set guidelines and a more detailed marking scheme. Also yep 😭 I most likely won't make it so maybe we'll see each other at Durham 🩷
Ooh btw are you firming or insuring Durham?

I believe in you you got this 💪 getting a H1 in english is definitely diificult but not impossible so you can do it!! But hey also I was wondering if I could get ur insta? if we both do end up in durham it'll be nice to have a person there haha
also im still waiting to hear back lse so Ill decide on whether im firming or insuring it then :smile:
Reply 19
I believe in you you got this 💪 getting a H1 in english is definitely diificult but not impossible so you can do it!! But hey also I was wondering if I could get ur insta? if we both do end up in durham it'll be nice to have a person there haha
also im still waiting to hear back lse so Ill decide on whether im firming or insuring it then :smile:

😭 True but it seems impossible for me since English is my worst subject sitting at a H3, low H2 currently...
Sure, I'll DM it to you since I don't think tsr likes ppl sharing socials LOL
AH wow LSE hasn't gotten back yet? Best of luckkk they're sure taking their time haha

Quick Reply

Latest