The Student Room Group

Can I sit an A Level in Y12 and two in Y13 and get into Oxford?

Hiya,

I'm studying Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. We learn the content consecutively rather than in parallel, so I will sit my Maths A Level this year. I would like to apply for Computer Science at Oxford, so would this approach to my A Levels be acceptable for an Oxford application?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hiya,
I'm studying Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. We learn the content consecutively rather than in parallel, so I will sit my Maths A Level this year. I would like to apply for Computer Science at Oxford, so would this approach to my A Levels be acceptable for an Oxford application?

If you get an A* in year 12 in maths it will count to any conditional offer you got.
They don't like people doing this - makes them unsure you can handle the workload
Reply 3
Original post by AmIReallyHere
They don't like people doing this - makes them unsure you can handle the workload

This is untrue when it comes to taking maths early.
Hiya,

Yes, but realise you'll be up against applicants with 4 A-Levels which include Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics, Chemistry or Biology, and many other subjects. Furthermore, Computer Science has 20 applicants per place and is one of the most competitive courses at Oxford.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
Yes, but realise you'll be up against applicants with 4 A-Levels which include Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics, Chemistry or Biology, and many other subjects. Furthermore, Computer Science has 20 applicants per place and is one of the most competitive courses at Oxford.

So at that point I suppose I need to do extremely well in their MAT and have a solid interview.
So at that point I suppose I need to do extremely well in their MAT and have a solid interview.

Yes, MAT is a criteria for shortlisting for interview. The interview needs to be good to be made an offer as you said yourself!!! 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending