The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Swing
When you can't convince them to shut up, join them.

If you agreed to their demands what are you saying? That you can't do anything else about it, and you have to give in to whatever they want. Do you think they would really go, "hey we got those women freed, now everybody is happy, let's all go home and rejoice"? They would take that to mean that they can keep doing it again and again and ask for more and more, you have to just say no to them, even though it indangers a few peoples lives, though its tragic that he was killed there was no better solution.

Your just repeating what everybody already knows......For a start I acknowledge the fact that we cannot give. Also you're just being a hypocrite by now joining into this conversation by posting replies such as this.
Reply 161
Saagar
Well it would have secured the release of the 3 hostages. But yes as I've said I know it would only increase the number of hostage takings. I was merely stating that this was the possibility.

It may have secured the release. It may not. These folks aren't exactly rationale human beings or men of honor. Anybody who is capable of hacking another person's head off with a carving knife is really rather ill IMO. You can't do a deal with the Devil.
Howard
It may have secured the release. It may not. These folks aren't exactly rationale human beings or men of honor. Anybody who is capable of hacking another person's head off with a carving knife is really rather ill IMO. You can't do a deal with the Devil.

But I suppose you think bombing people, regardless of whether they are civilian or not is ok.
Reply 163
Howard

I suppose an issue like this is dependant on a person's view. now we'll never know.
Saagar
Also you're just being a hypocrite by now joining into this conversation by posting replies such as this.

Read my first line you dumbass.
Reply 165
Swing
Read my first line you dumbass.

Oh no...its always worrying when someone has to result to baby-like dubs. Do you not get the point "dumbass" The whole point is that if you believe we shouldn't move away from the thread topic then why set a stupid example of yourself by contributing to it. You can't bail yourself out with stupid phrases such as "if you can't shut them up join them"........point made.
Saagar
You can't bail yourself out with stupid phrases such as "if you can't shut them up join them"........point made.

I think I can. I doubt many people here actually care, its only you. Now shut the hell up you annoying cow, I have better things to do than argue over nothing.
Reply 167
Swing
I think I can. I doubt many people here actually care, its only you. Now shut the hell up you annoying cow, I have better things to do than argue over nothing.

"I think i can" yeah you can i guess, at the expense of making you look like a fool. If you have better things then stop posting rubbish in the first place and stop being a hypocrite. Consider this over and btw if you reply again guess what........yes you'll be a hypocrite again!!! :cool:
It's such an anti-climax, isn't it? They killed the American hostages, Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong, straight after the US government refused to meet their demands, but they kept Ken alive for 3 weeks and as recently as a few days ago, there were false reports claiming he would be freed. It's even more cruel than if they had killed him weeks ago; just giving his family and friends false hope, sending his mother to hospital with stress and then killing him anyway. We all know the Americans are the main nationality they hate, so by dragging out the fate of poor Ken Bigley, they got lots of media attention and sent out a warning to us to get the hell out of Iraq. Then, when we wouldn't meet their demands or give them any money, they had no more purpose for him, so they just killed him. These people are SICK bastards! How can they possibly believe beheading innocent people and causing grief to so many others will get them into heaven? Or whatever the Muslim version of heaven is.

Obviously I feel deeply sorry for Ken's family, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and add that I also feel sorry for Tony Blair. Running a country can't be easy under any circumstances, but having to decide between saving the life of one innocent man or giving in to terrorists, which would then pave the way for a lot more hostages to be taken, is a nightmare situation. He stood firm, refused to negotiate and as a result, Ken was killed. He may be criticised for being cold-hearted. If, on the other hand, he'd negotiated with them and met their demands, resulting in Ken being freed, he'd be accused of giving in to terrorism and being weak. It's a lose-lose situation, and I think he did the right thing. Someone mentioned how he would have reacted if the hostage was a member of his family, which doesn't even bear thinking about. I can't even imagine what that would be like, as I'm sure none of you can.

Having said that, I don't think we should have gone to war in the first place. It was nothing to do with us. It's been proved there was absolutely no evidence that Saddam had WMDs and therefore he posed no threat to us. I'm not saying it's not a good thing that's he's in prison, because it obviously is. But it's also not true that life in Iraq has improved that drastically. There are so many people still being killed and, at the risk of sounding callous, it's not our problem. There are loads of countries like that, but you don't see us going to war in all of them. I wonder why.....hmmm....could it possibly have something to do with oil?
Reply 169
~*glitter*~

didnt see that coming...3 weeks ago...
Reply 170
Evil evil people :mad: I dont understand why anyone would want to watch that video.
Reply 171
The people who watch them are just curious not evil, i don't think sadists or sadistic.
Reply 172
Saagar
The people who watch them are just curious not evil, i don't think sadists or sadistic.

Opps, i know, sorry if thats what it sounded like i meant. I meant the terrorists were evil, and i wondered why anyone would wanna watch it :redface:
Reply 173
Saagar

curious? I don't understand how can someone with an ounce of humanity in them can bring themselves to watch a video -which they know for sure about it's horrific content- of a human being having his head sawn off? .. out of curiousity?!
Reply 174
Well there are ppl, sumone has seen all of them up to date.
Reply 176
vienna95
Britain was holding no female terrorists, or indeed any females.

yes we were, like that doctor germ woman, this is what it was all about
vienna95
i have no idea what you are talking about.

meta-discussion, Jonatan.

I mean you should use more tact. Whilst your knowledge of politics and things in general may be impressive, your debating skills are lacking in one area - persuasion. It's all very well to have a valid point, but it loses its chance to make an impression on the majority of people if it simply a statement or rhetoric, and not a well-crafted persuasive argument.

Rhetoric and statement provoke most people to not think about what you have said, but instead automatically reject your point of view due to the way in which it is written.

I hope that was a bit clearer.
Reply 178
~*glitter*~
yes we were, like that doctor germ woman, this is what it was all about

America holds those prisoners, no female prisoners are held in British custody and we have no jurstication over American prisoners.
Reply 179
Muffle
America holds those prisoners, no female prisoners are held in British custody and we have no jurstication over American prisoners.

well whatever but i know it was the women they wanted released in return for their capture

Latest

Trending

Trending