The Student Room Group

How many people get 2:1s and better?

Curious how many people usually get a 2:1 or more. Seems employers have largely commoditised the grade and its the standard - a step further anything less can often be viewed as someone not paying attention at uni. I've seen some modules/degree programmes have 80-90%+ scoring in or above the 2:1 threshold. Is this anecdotally true for you?

Asking because my degree has the following grade distributions in core modules for the last 2 years. These modules make up roughly 46% of my total grade and I feel like putting in the work is just not enough to achieve that 2:1...

Are these distributions rougher than usual? They have dropped in the last 5 years, with mean marks ranging from 48-58 and 75th percentile marks for all of these modules being in the mid-60s range...Previously it was high 60s/low 70s mean and 80s 75th percentile. Even external examiners have mentioned how Chemistry across the country has seen a dip in attainment but that their institutions scaled marks to maintain grades! How is this fair?
Reply 1
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by JamieJacks
Curious how many people usually get a 2:1 or more. Seems employers have largely commoditised the grade and its the standard - a step further anything less can often be viewed as someone not paying attention at uni. I've seen some modules/degree programmes have 80-90%+ scoring in or above the 2:1 threshold. Is this anecdotally true for you?
Asking because my degree has the following grade distributions in core modules for the last 2 years. These modules make up roughly 46% of my total grade and I feel like putting in the work is just not enough to achieve that 2:1...
Are these distributions rougher than usual? They have dropped in the last 5 years, with mean marks ranging from 48-58 and 75th percentile marks for all of these modules being in the mid-60s range...Previously it was high 60s/low 70s mean and 80s 75th percentile. Even external examiners have mentioned how Chemistry across the country has seen a dip in attainment but that their institutions scaled marks to maintain grades! How is this fair?
Honestly, it really depends on the subject and university. Typically quantitative subjects and modules have much higher variance in grades because questions are largely right or wrong, whereas subjects with high essay content you generally see most get 2.1's. I'd say probably the average in my experience is the top 10% get firsts, then maybe 60% 2.1's then 30% across the rest. Having below half getting 2.1+ seems quite unusual.

Whether it's fair or not, doesn't really matter. You thinking it's fair/unfair doesn't make a difference and I doubt any complaint would be effective. All you can do is just do the best you can and then see where the dust settles in terms of your grades and job prospects.
Reply 3
Original post by BenRyan99
Honestly, it really depends on the subject and university. Typically quantitative subjects and modules have much higher variance in grades because questions are largely right or wrong, whereas subjects with high essay content you generally see most get 2.1's. I'd say probably the average in my experience is the top 10% get firsts, then maybe 60% 2.1's then 30% across the rest. Having below half getting 2.1+ seems quite unusual.
Whether it's fair or not, doesn't really matter. You thinking it's fair/unfair doesn't make a difference and I doubt any complaint would be effective. All you can do is just do the best you can and then see where the dust settles in terms of your grades and job prospects.
Well this sucks...I'm just about to finish my second year in Chemistry lol. I'm on a 2:1 at the moment but next year is weighted 5/9ths and those 3 core modules are abysmal in terms of grade distributions. Worked my butt off to get an internship at a BB investment bank and a hedge fund and it seems like there's a real possibility I won't get the 2:1 for the jobs- even though I'm working probably 2x as much as my friends on my degree

do you think dropping out and doing another degree is optimal? 2:2 basically bars me from my ideal profession for life it seems
(edited 1 month ago)
Well this sucks...I'm just about to finish my second year in Chemistry lol. I'm on a 2:1 at the moment but next year is weighted 5/9ths and those 3 core modules are abysmal in terms of grade distributions. Worked my butt off to get an internship at a BB investment bank and a hedge fund and it seems like there's a real possibility I can't do either - even though I'm working probably 2x as much as my friends on my degree
They're pretty large courses though, in terms of student numbers. Needing to be in the top ~80 out of 220 students.... it's not that crazy. This is especially the case with courses at UCL and similar (e.g. kings) where the high proportion of international students generally increases the variance in grades (given there's greater variance in starting points).

If you've already got 45% of your grades locked in at an 60% or above average, really you only need to average 60% or slightly below to get a 2.1 overall. Also, it's likely that part (certainly not all) of the reason you were so successful in getting finance internships is the university you attend, therefore it's not entirely reasonable to take the benefits of that but complain that it will be difficult to get a 2.1. Part of the reason the certain universities/courses are valued by non-subject specific requiring employers is because the courses are hard to do well in. To think otherwise is just cakeism.

Again, whether it's difficult or not doesn't change the game plan, you just do the best you can regardless. If you get a 2.1 or above then great, if you don't then unless you have a time machine then there's nothing you can do about it anyway. So as annoying as it is, it is what it is.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
`
To be clear, I acknowledge that the game plan doesn't change. I'm just venting lol. I see your point on Cakeism, but I don't think its fair to be honest. Chemistry is harder than pretty much every other course here, not from a pure difficulty POV, but from a grade distribution POV. Most UCL courses, even STEM, have 80-90% of students getting a 2:1+. This is because if the exams are markedly harder, grades are scaled. This doesn't happen in Chemistry lol.
(edited 1 month ago)
`
To be clear, I acknowledge that the game plan doesn't change. I'm just venting lol. I see your point on Cakeism, but I don't think its fair to be honest. Chemistry is harder than pretty much every other course here, not from a pure difficulty POV, but from a grade distribution POV. Most UCL courses, even STEM, have 80-90% of students getting a 2:1+. This is because if the exams are markedly harder, grades are scaled. This doesn't happen at UCL lol.
That really sucks bro 😅
Reply 7
Original post by BenRyan99
That really sucks bro 😅
Yes truly lol. Only reason I've even become aware of how distinct this is, is because a large UK news network has been asking Chem students at my uni for comments about it lol
Reply 8

You are right to question it. It is such a shame that successive governments since the 90s have encouraged more and more people into higher education (a good thing) but at the same time have incentivised universities and the education system as a whole to offer higher an higher grades on the pretence that they have improved the educational outcomes of young people. Where as this is true to an extent, teaching is vastly better now than in the 90s and before, are we really in a situation where the best students (A and A*s or 1st class degrees) are in a majority of 25% of the whole?

In the 90s I think around 2 or three people got 1 A at A-level in school (1995). I got CCD and that got me into my first choice. Now, to do the same degree at the same university, I would require AAB. Similarly, when I graduated in 2000 I got a 2.2. which got me a job. I think two or three people on my course got a 1st. They were truly exceptional. As more and more people get the top grades which inflates the ego of universities and schools alike, they are surely devalued and worth less outside the educational setting.

As a candidate, what makes you stand out now that everyone has a 1st Class Honours Degree?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 9
Original post by hotpud
You are right to question it. It is such a shame that successive governments since the 90s have encouraged more and more people into higher education (a good thing) but at the same time have incentivised universities and the education system as a whole to offer higher an higher grades on the pretence that they have improved the educational outcomes of young people. Where as this is true to an extent, teaching is vastly better now than in the 90s and before, are we really in a situation where the best students (A and A*s or 1st class degrees) are in a majority of 25% of the whole?
In the 90s I think around 2 or three people got 1 A at A-level in school (1995). I got CCD and that got me into my first choice. Now, to do the same degree at the same university, I would require AAB. Similarly, when I graduated in 2000 I got a 2.2. which got me a job. I think two or three people on my course got a 1st. They were truly exceptional. As more and more people get the top grades which inflates the ego of universities and schools alike, they are surely devalued and worth less outside the educational setting.
As a candidate, what makes you stand out now that everyone has a 1st Class Honours Degree?

Seems like my degree has really low amounts of people getting a 2.1+
Reply 10

Seems like my degree has really low amounts of people getting a 2.1+

Just under half of grads getting the top grades. So one has to wonder what value do those degrees have? If everyone has one, surely it has little value? Bad for grads. Bad for universities?
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending