The Student Room Group

What language to learn...

I get 20 credits next semester which I am able to choose freely. I'm very tempted by doing an introductory language module and I have the following choice: German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin, Urdu, and Japanese.

I'm more or less decided I'll do either Spanish or Italian. Has anyone learnt both these languages, and feel they have any insight into which may be 'easier' to pick up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Spanish would be good because it's very widely spoken so could improve employment prospects.

Italian would be good as it's a brillaint country and you may want to live there when you're old.
Tednol
I get 20 credits next semester which I am able to choose freely. I'm very tempted by doing an introductory language module and I have the following choice: German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin, Urdu, and Japanese.

I'm more or less decided I'll do either Spanish or Italian. Has anyone learnt both these languages, and feel they have any insight into which may be 'easier' to pick up?

I can speak German, Spanish and Italian quite fluently - but Spanish was by far the easiest to learn.
Reply 3
Lord Huntroyde
Spanish would be good because it's very widely spoken so could improve employment prospects.

Italian would be good as it's a brillaint country and you may want to live there when you're old.

Yeah, Spanish would be more useful. It's becoming increasingly used in N.America due to the Latin American population. Italy'd be nice to go and spend some time though...
Reply 4
ooo ooo
italian - would suit you :biggrin:
Reply 5
Tednol

I havent done either, but i did do the Japanese short course for 2 years and found it really interesting. I found it easier than i expected. Probably because it was taken quite slow; we spent quite a long time just learning the characters. Anyway, I would defiently recommend it
Reply 6
Tednol

Japanese is relatively easy to learn in terms of the oral aspect, but the characters for writing get rather tricky. There is a certain way to do them, and remembering the differences is a prick of a thing.
German I found interesting, despite some very long words that sound like broken bottles.
No ideas on the other ones sorry. Hope that helps
Reply 7
Tednol

It may not be one of the two on your shortlist, but Russian would definitely be a good bet. It has a relatively regular grammar, and can be picked up quite easily. It should be good for a CV too. Russia will probably end up playing some role in Europe, and not many English who know the language.
Reply 8
italian's sexier...if that helps....
Reply 9
Sire
Japanese is relatively easy to learn in terms of the oral aspect, but the characters for writing get rather tricky. There is a certain way to do them, and remembering the differences is a prick of a thing.
German I found interesting, despite some very long words that sound like broken bottles.
No ideas on the other ones sorry. Hope that helps

It's really tricky to get the Japanese accent right, 'though. It's an open language without any consonant clusters, and it just feels unnatural when spoken.
Reply 10
d750
It's really tricky to get the Japanese accent right, 'though. It's an open language without any consonant clusters, and it just feels unnatural when spoken.

You dont need to do the accent, as long as they know what you are saying :biggrin:
Reply 11
I tried to learn Italian so I could talk to the sexy men. But it was too difficult so I gave up after five lessons. But they sound good enough speaking English anyway.
Reply 12
Baron
You dont need to do the accent, as long as they know what you are saying :biggrin:

Yeah, but it's hard to be intelligible - it takes a lot of practice. The same the other way round, too - so it's an impressive achivement for a Japanese person to speak English understandably.
Reply 13
d750
Yeah, but it's hard to be intelligible - it takes a lot of practice. The same the other way round, too - so it's an impressive achivement for a Japanese person to speak English understandably.

Yeh, they always have problems with r's and l's. In japanese there is no "r" or "l" sound, there is a sound that is kinda inbetween; nevertheless, you can usually understand what they are saying
Reply 14
d750

Not really, I found it difficult with the R and L sounds at first but after that it just seemed to roll off the tongue.
Reply 15
if you could speak mandarin then you'd know the two most widely spoken language in the wolrd..
Reply 16
I speak Portuguese, Spanish, French and understand Italian I'd say portuguese as brasil is just opening up economically also mozambique, goa timor, portugal speak it as well...portuguese and spanish are close so when you know one you easily pick up the other
Reply 17
Fly By
if you could speak mandarin then you'd know the two most widely spoken language in the wolrd..

isnt spanish more widely spoken than english?
Reply 18
German's the best. German's the best. German's the best. German's the best. German's the best. German's the best.

Oh, but out of your two, I'd say Spanish was easier and Italian was sexier. Are you prepared to put in the work to be even more sexy?! Heh!
Reply 19
Baron
isnt spanish more widely spoken than english?

i dont think so..

Latest

Trending

Trending