The Student Room Group
In third world countries they have little choice, because otheriwse they would starve to death.

I'd say it's a bigger issue to consider in MEDC's - but i would still say that it's fine to have a baby if you're responsible enough to raise it properly and protect it from the worlds harsh aspects.
what are personnal reasons?
Reply 3
TheWolf
...and 2. is it immoral for people esp in starving countries eg Ethiopia, to bring in new lives, even that it is inevitable that the new lives will come into this world and suffer?

1) I would have chosen to be born I think. I am quite happy in my life at the moment, obviously there are things that I would change but I don't think that I would not want to have been born

2) I don't think it is immoral, if everyone who suffered hardships decided not to have children then where would this world be. Everyone suffers, garenteed some more than others, but that is not a reason to not have children. You never know what may happen in the future, in countrie like ethiopia things may improved during the life of that child. I think it is sensible to encourage family planning in countries which are over populated so that families don't have many unwanted children that they cannot support. However I don't think that people should choose not to have children.
Reply 4
Speciez99
what are personnal reasons?

personal reasons such as: they are cute...everyones having babies, why dont i try it...etc
TheWolf
personal reasons such as: they are cute...everyones having babies, why dont i try it...etc
ah so the simple desire of the mother for a baby without thinking about the wider implications of bringing it up like how to pay for it? the standard of living? ect. ?
Reply 6
TheWolf
...and 2. is it immoral for people esp in starving countries eg Ethiopia, to bring in new lives, even that it is inevitable that the new lives will come into this world and suffer?

Love me or hate me for saying this, but I do feel that bringing a child into hardship is immoral. Cruel too actually. Just my personal opinion.
Reply 7
TheWolf

What are non-personal reasons?
Sire
Love me or hate me for saying this, but I do feel that bringing a child into hardship is immoral. Cruel too actually. Just my personal opinion.
sure its immoral on the part of humanity that people are in that position
Reply 9
Speciez99
ah so the simple desire of the mother for a baby without thinking about the wider implications of bringing it up like how to pay for it? the standard of living? ect. ?

Hmm, I think that is half the problem. Wanting something, but not being able to support it. Kind of like putting yourself up to your eyeballs in debt just to buy a fancy car. Sure it looks nice, but while it sits there month after month because the owner can't afford the fuel, the car begins to deteriorate. (bad analogy I know, but I hope you guys see my point)
Reply 10
Speciez99
sure its immoral on the part of humanity that people are in that position

How do you mean? Is it the fault of those who have the child, or the fault of the better off people for not supporting? Or is it more a crime against humanity to bring a child into hardship like starvation?
Sorry, you just threw me with that one mate.
Reply 11
Gnostic's Back
Our old friends the ancient Gnostics said that we were "thrown" into the world, a theme that, as we all know, Heidegger elaborated upon.

The question is completely meaningless - but the question is interesting in that it shows the capacity of the human imagination to transcend the present and to peer into the very heavens.

Uhmm right. I was guessing that a religious statement wouldn't make it into this thread until page 2 lol
Sire
How do you mean? Is it the fault of those who have the child, or the fault of the better off people for not supporting? Or is it more a crime against humanity to bring a child into hardship like starvation?
ideally everyone should be in a postion to bring up a child in relative comfort, the fact that people are poor in 3rd world countries is not normally the fault of the individual and hence they shouldnt be blamed if they cannot bring up the child well enought
Gnostic's Back
Our old friends the ancient Gnostics said that we were "thrown" into the world, a theme that, as we all know, Heidegger elaborated upon.

The question is completely meaningless - but the question is interesting in that it shows the capacity of the human imagination to transcend the present and to peer into the very heavens.
would you like to explain why you think its pointless I would be interested to hear you musings
Reply 14
Sire

Also its human nature to want to reproduce, so people reproduce often because their bodies are telling them to do so.
Gnostic's Back
It's a non-sensical question. It's akin to asking "would you choose being born to a pink bunny rabbit?" But this type of questioning does reflect the transcendence of the human imagination, whether it be to heights of Mount Olympus, or to the delusions of Hades.
which the 1st or 2nd question? or both?
Reply 16
Speciez99
ideally everyone should be in a postion to bring up a child in relative comfort, the fact that people are poor in 3rd world countries is not normally the fault of the individual and hence they shouldnt be blamed if they cannot bring up the child well enought

Good point. :smile:
Reply 17
Speciez. I'm not in your respected list, is this a sign by any chance? lol
Gnostic's Back
Oh, I didn't see that "second" question - I assumed that the vote would be on the thread title, and not on a different topic. But the second question - "Is it right to bring new lives into this world for personal reasons?" - is, of course, bonkers. The assumptions that underpin this question, and the paradigm that gave birth to it, are quite crazy. Such a type of questioning reflects a mental state in chaos and confusion. Thinking in those terms is exactly like asking “Should an individual be allowed to interpret the Bible for himself?".
i swear half the time you are just making this up :wink:
Reply 19
1. Yeah I'd have chosen to be born, I'd rather have some chance at life than none at all. No matter how crap I sometimes feel or how depressed I am and think life isn't worth living when I'm out the other side I realise how blessed I am. Life is a gift.

2. To have a child the parents should want to love, care and cherish their children. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids :frown: Sadly I feel like that about my dad.

People in poorer countries have lots of kids because infant mortality rates are higher so to ensure that they have at least some children they ahve to have more, children can help earn money and they can look after their parents when they get old...

Latest

Trending

Trending