The Student Room Group

telephone spam

we've been getting 2/3 calls a day from a company called "american life" it's blatantly someone from a call centre in india who's got a very good accent. but they are getting really annoying now. i once made the mistake by letting them know i was 18 when they asked how old i was....i was on the phone for about 10 minutes trying to get rid of them. they rang again today and i just hung up.

is anyone else finding these spam phone calls a problem?
Reply 1
It's fun to play with phone spammers. Just get creative and they won't call again.
Reply 2
Mr Moncal
It's fun to play with phone spammers. Just get creative and they won't call again.

ooh got any suggestions??
Reply 3
we dont really get phone spammers where i live, we just get the people from religous centres offering us free bibles. I remember one time my friend had jehovas witnesess come over and bug him everyday, he finally accpeted some of there panphlets, then as they handed it to him he ripped them up and threw it in there face.

god dam they are ennoying
Reply 4
priya
ooh got any suggestions??

When they call, say: I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed has been disconnected. hang up.

If they call again,

ask them to join you for dinner. Tell them that you are going to a phat new canibals only bar and you could really use an entre before you go.
Reply 5
Mr Moncal
When they call, say: I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed has been disconnected. hang up.

If they call again,

ask them to join you for dinner. Tell them that you are going to a phat new canibals only bar and you could really use an entre before you go.

heehee i like the 2nd one, muhahaha i could really wreck their heads
Reply 6
Also, since they are indian, stage a huge conversation about how much your family loves beef while you are talking on the phone with them.
Reply 7
Using http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ really does work.
Reply 8
priya
heehee i like the 2nd one, muhahaha i could really wreck their heads

become exdirectory they'll never find you... :biggrin:
Mr Moncal

sum1 foned me yesterday advertisin double glazin so i just went along with it 4 15 mins until i 'remembered' we just 'had' double glazin installed.... she didnt sound too happy
Reply 10
andrew2022
sum1 foned me yesterday advertisin double glazin so i just went along with it 4 15 mins until i 'remembered' we just 'had' double glazin installed.... she didnt sound too happy

That's good! Shame they work so hard to secure a deal too...(Why I could never work at a call centre)

Must be some decent tricks that work against Jehovah's, aside from egging them/converting them to Catholocism/anything else I haven't tried.
LifeWired
That's good! Shame they work so hard to secure a deal too...(Why I could never work at a call centre)

Must be some decent tricks that work against Jehovah's, aside from egging them/converting them to Catholocism/anything else I haven't tried.

she was goin on all the time bout the advantages then i agreed to have them install doule glazin then wen she asked 4 the address etc i told her we already had it....

point is they waste my time so i hav every intention of wastin theirs!
Reply 12
andrew2022
she was goin on all the time bout the advantages then i agreed to have them install doule glazin then wen she asked 4 the address etc i told her we already had it....

point is they waste my time so i hav every intention of wastin theirs!

I have a m8 who competes with his dad over keeping the telemarketing people on the phone for the longest! I think he managed over 50 minutes but it boiled down to a normal conversation, still, passes time if you have it to burn :rolleyes:
LifeWired
I have a m8 who competes with his dad over keeping the telemarketing people on the phone for the longest! I think he managed over 50 minutes but it boiled down to a normal conversation, still, passes time if you have it to burn :rolleyes:

unfortunatly we dont get very many telemarketin ppl phonin us.... nd usually i aint in wen they do
Alexander
Using http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ really does work.

Works wonders - and you can sign up your mobile phone too to stop spam text messages....
Reply 15
LifeWired

When they phone up, they just ask to speak with Mr Griffith. I instantly ask which Mr Griffith they need to speak to. If they don't come up with a valid first name, I drop the phone behind the fridge.

They cannot hang up, unless the line goes silent. Behind my fridge is not silent!

The other good one is to say, "Sorry mate, I don't live here, just robbing the place"

Or fake grief, and burst into tears as the person they want to speak to has only just died that morning

Or say he is unavailible. They will always ask if there is a more convienient time to contact him. Say its dependant on the parole board.
Reply 16
dave134
When they phone up, they just ask to speak with Mr Griffith. I instantly ask which Mr Griffith they need to speak to. If they don't come up with a valid first name, I drop the phone behind the fridge.

They cannot hang up, unless the line goes silent. Behind my fridge is not silent!

The other good one is to say, "Sorry mate, I don't live here, just robbing the place"

Or fake grief, and burst into tears as the person they want to speak to has only just died that morning

Or say he is unavailible. They will always ask if there is a more convienient time to contact him. Say its dependant on the parole board.

Hehe! I'll need to try those :biggrin:
Not sure if I can do it without laughing though..
Reply 17
priya
we've been getting 2/3 calls a day from a company called "american life" it's blatantly someone from a call centre in india who's got a very good accent. but they are getting really annoying now. i once made the mistake by letting them know i was 18 when they asked how old i was....i was on the phone for about 10 minutes trying to get rid of them. they rang again today and i just hung up.

is anyone else finding these spam phone calls a problem?

next time they phone just put the reciever next to the phone and make no noise. their bill will go up and you probs wont get one again :biggrin:
neha p
next time they phone just put the reciever next to the phone and make no noise. their bill will go up and you probs wont get one again :biggrin:

shout instead of talkin.....

either that or say hello..... who is this.... i cant hear you...... speak up...... then say 'please leave a message after the tone' then wait til they hang up.... itz them payin the bill remember

Latest

Trending

Trending