The Student Room Group

Anyone taking 6 AS/A levels?

I dont think there is any one taking 6 AS/A levels. As taking 3 is stressfull enough :eek:.
At the moment i'm choosing the subjects i wish to study for Six-form but the problem is i'm not sure i wanna be, at the moment i'm spanding between the 2 eras one wich is maths/business and sicece.
I really dont know what i wanna do :confused: my head is banging
On the other hand i'm a bit worried when you apply for uni with 6 A-levels, they will not take you as taking 6 a-levels is absurd as average is 3/4

I appreicate everyones opinions, thoughts and experiences :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What A-levels are you thinking of taking?

As it has been said before, taking 3/4 and getting great grades (A's & B's) is better than taking 6 and getting good grades (B's & C's)

Also, are you including general studies in that 6?
Yes, it does include general studies

I'm thinking of taking Mathmatics, business stuides, psychology, chemistry and biology.
Reply 3
I did, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, ICT, and General Studies, I wanted to do another but they would'nt let me :rolleyes:
How come they didnt let you take another one? May i know what type of six-form you went to? (Privite/state, mix/single sex school)

I'm thinking of taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and general studies :smile:
Reply 5
shopaholicjenni
How come they didnt let you take another one? May i know what type of six-form you went to? (Privite/state, mix/single sex school)

I'm thinking of taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and general studies :smile:
I went to what was the best sixth form in the country the other year according to the Guradian. Greenhead in huddersfield. It is a mixed sixth form who choose about 1/3 of their intake.
I'm unsure of why they would'nt let me take another, I think it was timetabling problems.
Reply 6
If I view General studies as an A-level, I'm taking 5; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, and General studies.

You could probably manage it, depending on what you got/get for GCSE's.
Daveo
I went to what was the best sixth form in the country the other year according to the Guradian. Greenhead in huddersfield. It is a mixed sixth form who choose about 1/3 of their intake.
I'm unsure of why they would'nt let me take another, I think it was timetabling problems.

wow! amazing
timetabling problems, i see
How did you cope taking 5 A-levels? Did you have much free time to yourself?
Reply 8
shopaholicjenni
wow! amazing
timetabling problems, i see
How did you cope taking 5 A-levels? Did you have much free time to yourself?
Yeah I still had lots of free time and could have fit another A Level just fine but the only one I could do was French and as I hate languages I told them where to go.
Taking 5 A-Levels was easy for me and I didn't get typical all A*'s at GCSE.
LS.
If I view General studies as an A-level, I'm taking 5; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, and General studies.

You could probably manage it, depending on what you got/get for GCSE's.

Are you in your last year of six-form?
If i do manage to take 6 A-levels, wouldnt the uni. sees it as something bad?
Reply 10
shopaholicjenni
Are you in your last year of six-form?
If i do manage to take 6 A-levels, wouldnt the uni. sees it as something bad?

Yes, I am at 6th form. We didnt have the option to do 6; although, I was told I could possibly do art in my free time If I wanted to (but I didn't)

I'm not sure if it would put you at a disadvantage, but I'm sure someone else here would. From what I've seen though, don't universities take your 3 highest grades (from the subjects they want for the course) and if you took a forth AS/A2 (exc. GS) they only required a pass?
Daveo
Yeah I still had lots of free time and could have fit another A Level just fine but the only one I could do was French and as I hate languages I told them where to go.
Taking 5 A-Levels was easy for me and I didn't get typical all A*'s at GCSE.

May i know how long ago was this?
Any of your friends/ people you know in your six-form took 6 A-levels?
So in other words, it all depends on the time tabling and whether the college/six-form let you take on the 6th subjects right?
I did 6 A-Levels (Maths, F. Maths, Economics, Physics, English literature and French) in the last year of the old A-Level, and even with the new AS/A2 system I would still strongly advice against taking anything more that 4. No university would ask you for more that 4 A2s, so unless you would really enjoy doing an extra subject, don't bother, you would get less out of it than you would put in.

Also, remember a lot of universities don't count General Studies, especially Oxbridge.
Reply 13
shopaholicjenni
So in other words, it all depends on the time tabling and whether the college/six-form let you take on the 6th subjects right?

I think it mostly does, however, at my 6th form, you had to get more than 5 A*-C grades to 4 A-levels, and less, and you could only do three. (Somthing like that - but it was grade dependant)
Reply 14
No university asks for more than three A2s and an AS, what's the point in doing loads more?
LS.
Yes, I am at 6th form. We didnt have the option to do 6; although, I was told I could possibly do art in my free time If I wanted to (but I didn't)

I'm not sure if it would put you at a disadvantage, but I'm sure someone else here would. From what I've seen though, don't universities take your 3 highest grades (from the subjects they want for the course) and if you took a forth AS/A2 (exc. GS) they only required a pass?

I see, by taking 5 A-levels how many free periods do you have a week?
Someone else here would, you mean your sixth-form? or....

I'm not sure about universities taking your 3 best grades from the subjects they want for the couse.
Reply 16
shopaholicjenni
May i know how long ago was this?
Any of your friends/ people you know in your six-form took 6 A-levels?
it was a year ago, im now in my first year at uni.
I only know 1 person who took 6 A-Levels but he did well.
BazTheMoney
I did 6 A-Levels (Maths, F. Maths, Economics, Physics, English literature and French) in the last year of the old A-Level, and even with the new AS/A2 system I would still strongly advice against taking anything more that 4. No university would ask you for more that 4 A2s, so unless you would really enjoy doing an extra subject, don't bother, you would get less out of it than you would put in.

Also, remember a lot of universities don't count General Studies, especially Oxbridge.

I understand what you are saying, what i dont understand is that most universities dont count gernal studies as an A-level how come there are still sixth-forms taking the subject.
After your A-levels, did you use all your a-levels within your job? or just 1/2?
LS.
I think it mostly does, however, at my 6th form, you had to get more than 5 A*-C grades to 4 A-levels, and less, and you could only do three. (Somthing like that - but it was grade dependant)

I see.
Thank you for sharing your experience and ideas with me. :smile:
Lord Huntroyde
No university asks for more than three A2s and an AS, what's the point in doing loads more?

probably for backs up,or they enjoy taking more than 3 subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending