The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Personally I started from the bottom and worked my way up and I found it to be better. Employers will look at what experience you have and if you have just finished a degree but have never had the 'hands-on' stuff then they will employ someone else who knows what they are doing in a real life situation rather than what a book tell them to do. It may be a good idea to consider a degree while doing internships over the summer months as then you will have the best of both worlds. Don't be surprised however if when you graduate you find that some people who are above you have no formal qualifications. Retail is one of the last few frontiers where you can fight your way to the top rather than study.
Reply 2
Thanks for that. I'm considering cutting my 38 hours down to part-time hours to study and stay in my job. I know that some more senior jobs prefer the applicants to be educated to degree standard, but they are probably like you said, after the experience not the degree itself. So who do you work for and what do you do? Obviously in the retail industry.
Reply 3
Ok, im not sure what you mean by "retail manager" do you mean like a manager of a supermarket? or shop? Am i right in thinking that? :confused:
Reply 4
no actually I am not in retail I am a restaurant manager with retail friends. The principals are the same.
Reply 5
Ahh, i see. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 6
yeah retail manager for supermarket
Reply 7
WEND
yeah retail manager for supermarket

I see, what supermarket - may i ask?
Reply 8
I would still stick to experience over degree. That is certainly what I would hire but if you have the time a degree won't hurt unless it detracts from any experience you could have gained.
Reply 9
i work for ASDA and have previously worked for tesco.
Reply 10
cool, the pay aint that good though unless you get the managers job of a large store.

:cool: :rolleyes: :confused:
Reply 11
yeah i know, im only on about 9K a year, but im about to do a key colleague course which is the first step on becoming a manager. I have to sit in manager meetings and interviews and prepare rotas etc. should be much better than the mundane shelve stacking! I just hope all my previous experience helps, I'm also quite business minded which should help. A level business course work involved improving sales and costs on a super market department - I chose the topic myself and some of my ideas were implemented which was pleasing to hear.
Reply 12
Sorry to put your hopes down but don't put all your eggs in one basket mate :smile: If you don't get manager, then what are you going to do?
Reply 13
its not a case of 'ok I didnt get that job as a manager end of career'. They train you up for months instore if its what you want to do. then you take over a department for a while. If a vacancy comes up instore then you can go for the position. If not, you can apply somewhere else and just carry on training and going on relative courses to improve yourself. I dont have my heart set on becoming a manager and working my way up to something big, but its something i've thought about for a long while and i think i'd enjoy it and be suited to it. i have other career options in mind too.

Latest

Trending

Trending