The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SusieQ
Besides an umbrella, what is essential to take with you to Manchester?? How cold does it get there in the winter?
I guess it's best to get a laptop there or? I mean what restrictions does the uni network pose on the kind of computer you need?? Thanks for any and all advice again! :smile:

Erm the weather should be a lot warmer than Finland, it can reach 30c in the summers, and 3-5c would be a cold winter, its usualy around 8-10c in the winter. I have also lived in Manchester for 22 years and I don;t own an umbrella.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
amazingtrade
Erm the weather should be a lot warmer than Finland, it can reach 30c in the summers, and 3-5c would be a cold winter, its usualy around 8-10c in the winter. I have also lived in Manchester for 22 years and I don;t own an umbrella.

That's because you're a guy!! It doesn't matter if your hair gets wet!!

Susie - I'm taking a laptop. You're allowed whichever one you want as long as it has virus software installed. You're also not allowed to download music onto it from the net but I bet people do.

I'm taking
Laptop + printer
1 x duvet and 2 x bedding sets
pillows
set of plastic drawers (i think)
clothes
kitchen crockery - pots, pans, plates, bowls, mugs & all cooking utensils
toiletries
small supply of food
all the paperwork regarding loan, accommodation, course, etc
mirror
cd player
tv with no tv licence (im just gonna use it for video)

Obviously there's no way you'll be able to bring all that stuff from Finland but it gives you a general idea! I've still got most of the above to buy though.
Reply 3
Cheers Jenna and Amazingtrade.

Yeah I bet it won't be as cold in Manchester as it is in Finland, but as ridiculous as it sounds (coming from a Finn) I HATE THE COLD! And the student flats are supposed to be really drafty..

Fortunately my hall supplies and launders bed linen. I think I'm still going to take a pillow and maybe a duvet as they're not too heavy. Just want to have my own. Figured I'll go to Manchester initially with the 20 sth kilos of baggage that they allow onboard an aircraft and then have my parents send me things when ever I notice there's sth I need. And, must admit, I won't mind the excuse to go out and get new *necessary* things! :smile: Laptop and all that goes with it is probs too heavy, so might as well shop around and buy one from there. It's just hard to decide what to get on site and what to take with you as I can only guess what I'll be needing in the course of the first few weeks. Party clothes, I guess.. :smile:
Reply 4
I got a leaflet from UCAS about TV licences, which said you still need one even if you are only using your TV for videos/DVDs, as the TV is capable of receiving TV station signals.
computer * 2 possiblely (don't ask)
all my clothes
my cd collection is going on my computer so i dont have to take it
amp + speakers
all the documents - ie bank + uni stuff
a pot of marmite
my hockey stick, running shoes and footy boots
some random books to read (doubt i will need them tho)
some coffee, tea and hot chocolate
minor cooking stuff i suspect
stationary
and an open mind :tongue:
Reply 6
aw an open mind how cute

apparently plastic container boxes kinda lunch boxes r allllways useful muahaha who knows

waaaaaaay not long 2 go
Reply 7
Incomplete
computer * 2 possiblely (don't ask)
all my clothes
my cd collection is going on my computer so i dont have to take it
amp + speakers
all the documents - ie bank + uni stuff
a pot of marmite
my hockey stick, running shoes and footy boots
some random books to read (doubt i will need them tho)
some coffee, tea and hot chocolate
minor cooking stuff i suspect
stationary
and an open mind :tongue:

Manchester has marmite....There is a stationary box shop on oxford rd and clothes are plentifull here..You'll need a really large good quality umbrella and a scuba diving suit :tongue:
Are you coming to a sahara desert by any chance, that you want to bring food along? :eek:
zazy
Manchester has marmite....There is a stationary box shop on oxford rd and clothes are plentifull here..You'll need a really large good quality umbrella and a scuba diving suit :tongue:
Are you coming to a sahara desert by any chance, that you want to bring food along? :eek:

I realise :smile: its just i have these things already so will save money taking htem, i intend to buy alot of stuff in manchester as there is more choice.

yeah the food, will take some i am sure, but will probably buy that there as it will be easier. I also intend to get a new waterproof jacket before i go
Reply 9
Incomplete
I realise :smile: its just i have these things already so will save money taking htem, i intend to buy alot of stuff in manchester as there is more choice.

yeah the food, will take some i am sure, but will probably buy that there as it will be easier. I also intend to get a new waterproof jacket before i go

There are loads of cheep shops with offers on,you just have to get to know them and save yourself from pulling all that stuff along... :biggrin:
zazy
There are loads of cheep shops with offers on,you just have to get to know them and save yourself from pulling all that stuff along... :biggrin:

i am desperate for some odd reason (maybe be Leon inspired) want a potted plant in my room
Reply 11
Incomplete
i am desperate for some odd reason (maybe be Leon inspired) want a potted plant in my room

lol it might increase the oxygen levels in your room :tongue: ...And btw if you need the bus you can get a finglands £2 weekly pass :biggrin:
The physics department is quite jolly..I loved that piece of blackboard with Einstein's writing on it :biggrin: ..
zazy
lol it might increase the oxygen levels in your room :tongue: ...And btw if you need the bus you can get a finglands £2 weekly pass :biggrin:
The physics department is quite jolly..I loved that piece of blackboard with Einstein's signiture on it..

You live in Manc right? they have a similar thing at nottingham physics dept, guess its a must have for all well regarded physics dept
Reply 13
*Laura*
I got a leaflet from UCAS about TV licences, which said you still need one even if you are only using your TV for videos/DVDs, as the TV is capable of receiving TV station signals.

Hmmm.... not if its not plugged in it wont be able to receive a signal!! You only need a license if you are going to be receiving the signal. I'm 99% sure anyway.
Reply 14
Jenna999
kitchen crockery - pots, pans, plates, bowls, mugs & all cooking utensils

So in accommodation - you share with 8 or 12 other people, right? So are you all meant to bring your own pots and pans? Where will they all be stored, do you get individual cupboards or something?
Reply 15
Incomplete

They were for sale outside the Academy last year... I got a lovely little bonsai tree which is STILL alive!!
Reply 16
Jenna999
Hmmm.... not if its not plugged in it wont be able to receive a signal!! You only need a license if you are going to be receiving the signal. I'm 99% sure anyway.

Call 0870 241 5973, they'll be able to tell you with utter conviction if you'll need a licence or not but I don't think you will!

Regards things to bring to uni, I've got a few things to add. Don't bring too many plates, pieces of cutlery etc. If you bring 5 plates, 5 bowls, 5 knives anf 5 forks etc chances are you will have 4 dirty lots around the kitchen and you'll just clean 1 lot up every time you want to eat. Where as if you have fewer things, it is a good way of helping keep the place clean and tidy. Also its very easy to think 'well everyone else may have forgotten glasses... so I'll bring 10'. Don't!! Everyone has the same thought processes and in our flat last year, 8 of us had 43 glasses (we counted!) on day one. Less is most definitely more.

Another important thing to bring with you is a bag you can use to get to and from uni with books, files etc. It's easy to forgot!

And lastly, I'd recommend going with 5 or so passport photos loose. There is a passport photo booth in the Union but the queue during Freshers Week was a good 30 minutes.
Reply 17
dont bother getting a tv licence. i think in theory you are supposed to have one for any equipment that has the ability to receive tv signals, even if you dont use it. you will be sent hundreds of threatening leaflets saying they will come round and do a check, but they probably never will. hold your nerve until the end of the year and pray that no inspectors turn up on your doorstep. apparently if the inspectors come and find you without a licence you get a final warning anyway, and you can just get a licence then. i had a "but i only got my tv this week and haven't filled out the form yet" line prepared, complete with the application form as a prop, cause i was chicken. just pray that no one comes round and please dont blame me if it goes wrong and you get fined. but you wont. then the next year you will probably move into a shared place or something and then the licence will only work out at abou £10 each for the year, it'll be fine.
Reply 18
princessa
dont bother getting a tv licence. i think in theory you are supposed to have one for any equipment that has the ability to receive tv signals, even if you dont use it. you will be sent hundreds of threatening leaflets saying they will come round and do a check, but they probably never will. hold your nerve until the end of the year and pray that no inspectors turn up on your doorstep. apparently if the inspectors come and find you without a licence you get a final warning anyway, and you can just get a licence then. i had a "but i only got my tv this week and haven't filled out the form yet" line prepared, complete with the application form as a prop, cause i was chicken. just pray that no one comes round and please dont blame me if it goes wrong and you get fined. but you wont. then the next year you will probably move into a shared place or something and then the licence will only work out at abou £10 each for the year, it'll be fine.

You logic for not getting a TV licence are basically the same for not getting say car insurance. You are saying it'll be great so long as you are lucky... which is true. But if you are unlucky... quite frankly I couldn't do with a £1k fine during term!

I feel watching TV without a licence is theft, and I can't steal for toffee.
Reply 19
ah i dont drive, so i wouldnt know. i guess it depends on how much bottle you have and how good you are at blagging. i honestly cant think of anyone i met in my first year mentioning the tv licence inspectors turning up.

but for all the good law abiding citizens out there like tednol, it's worth knowing that you can get a refund for the three months of the year that you are not living at uni (ie the summer) from the tv licence people. but there is a funny system for this, you can only get it if you have a full three months of the duration left, so it depends on when you apply or something complicated like that, so read the leaflets.

Latest

Trending

Trending