The Student Room Group
If it works then why not?
At one time, up untill the 1940s or 1950s prisonsers and some young offenerds could be birched. Before that flogging existed for certin crimes - not sure what ones though. I think they were thought of as barbaric and dispensed with. As we know, many countires in the worls still have flogging and they do seem to enjoy a lower crrime rate than ourselves. However, as they are Islamic countires, the values systems there are different and this could be to do with other factors.
I do know for a fact that the adjusted murder rate has increased since the abolition of hanging. However I am not sure that it acts as a deterent in the way they say it does - that the USA for example. Given that most murders are commited by people who are (a)mad (b)live by the gun (c)domestic disputes where the notion of spur of the moment actions enters I only see it as stopping a minority of murders.
Perhaps bring back flogging for chavs?
Reply 2
InterCity125
At one time, up untill the 1940s or 1950s prisonsers and some young offenerds could be birched. Before that flogging existed for certin crimes - not sure what ones though. I think they were thought of as barbaric and dispensed with. As we know, many countires in the worls still have flogging and they do seem to enjoy a lower crrime rate than ourselves. However, as they are Islamic countires, the values systems there are different and this could be to do with other factors.
I do know for a fact that the adjusted murder rate has increased since the abolition of hanging. However I am not sure that it acts as a deterent in the way they say it does - that the USA for example. Given that most murders are commited by people who are (a)mad (b)live by the gun (c)domestic disputes where the notion of spur of the moment actions enters I only see it as stopping a minority of murders.
Perhaps bring back flogging for chavs?

what just random chav attacks :biggrin: If they'res more than 2 of them its illegal not to call the police to beat them?
Reply 3
Nik P
I think it is a bloody brilliant idea... we need some dicipline in these here parts, nothing says it like a smack with a ruler across the knuckles or a smack with the cane as you touch your knees...

why not just beat the shite out of kids when they're six or seven and tell them it'll happen again if they commit a crime, then they'll never commit a crime - sound stupid, well thats cos the whole idea is stupid :wink:
Reply 4
Coss@ck
why not just beat the shite out of kids when they're six or seven and tell them it'll happen again if they commit a crime, then they'll never commit a crime - sound stupid, well thats cos the whole idea is stupid :wink:

yeah but when theyre 6 or 7 they are too innocent and harmless
Reply 5
Coss@ck

don't people already do that and they end up messed up for the rest of their lives though?
Reply 6
Vladek
don't people already do that and they end up messed up for the rest of their lives though?

maybe thats the point
Reply 7
InterCity125

Just because it works, doesn't mean it's morally right.
It could be an effective alternative to prison. Prison in the UK is failing - let's be honest. Sentances are very short - which can make the person worse or very long - destroying them. If there was a grade of punishmet between say a community or suspended sentance it could help in some cases. It would be effective with younger people - if they comit a crime at say 13/15 then flogg them a bit. This will put them of crime for life - I suppose. However, a proper support network would have to be in place - find out what drove them to crime. I am for a more effective punishment system, but do not belive the future lies in more prisons - they just don't work. However I doubt we would be able to have flogging due to the EU - not 100% sure, but quite.
BTW birching was abolished in 1947.
Xulfer
Just because it works, doesn't mean it's morally right.

It is right if it works. If we get these people out of the downwards spiral that is youth offending, then I for one belive it is morally okay.
Reply 10
InterCity125
It is right if it works. If we get these people out of the downwards spiral that is youth offending, then I for one belive it is morally okay.

killing all young people and banning reproduction would work as well - probably not a good idea tho
Reply 11
Coss@ck
killing all young people and banning reproduction would work as well - probably not a good idea tho

Multiple nuclear warheads of sufficient yield across the Earth's surface would also provide an effective remedy to our problems :smile:
Reply 12
InterCity125

Good point. Short-term harm, solving the problem in the long-term. Is there another way to do this, though? I think there's 3 types of people in this instance: the people who do good and don't need any telling off, the people who do wrong and need a smack to get them back on track, and the people who it won't work for - they'll be used to the punishment and it won't help them in anyway - they'll come to expect the pain and carry on offending.
Xulfer
Good point. Short-term harm, solving the problem in the long-term. Is there another way to do this, though? I think there's 3 types of people in this instance: the people who do good and don't need any telling off, the people who do wrong and need a smack to get them back on track, and the people who it won't work for - they'll be used to the punishment and it won't help them in anyway - they'll come to expect the pain and carry on offending.

Yes, very true.
There will be people it won't work for. Some people will be destined for a life of crime - often for no real reason. There have allways been criminals, but I do think a short, sharp shock will put many young people on the right track. Like I said at the moment you can send them to prision- which rarely does any good - the re-offending rate is about 70% or give them community punishments/fines - which don't really work either - for many cases.
We do need to get something sorted out, too many young people are having their lives blighted by crime and throwing away decent futures - this is as big an issue for the government as whether the trains run on time or the EU consitution - it is the future of the country at stake.
Coss@ck

Don't be silly. What do you propose - prison? - dosen't work that often, community punishments - a joke to the offenders or what? We need a new approch, perhaps this could be it.
At the time it was abolished the country had had enough of violence and looked to a bright new world - perhaps they thought that crime was fall away with the welfare state - it hasn't. Something needs to be done and fast.
Reply 15
Nik P
I think it is a bloody brilliant idea... we need some dicipline in these here parts, nothing says it like a smack with a ruler across the knuckles or a smack with the cane as you touch your knees...

You sound very enthusiastic. Do you want to give corporal punishment or receive it or both?
Reply 16
i'm pretty sure that coporal punishment is legal is some states in the us but i don't think it has much effect on the crime rates.
i reackon it wouldn't be much good - firstly it seems like an easier punishment in a way than prison, i mean sure it hurts but its over so quickly that it doesn't really interfere too much with a life of crime, and secondly it does nothing to attempt to tackle the causes of crime like prison at least tries to do by educating prisoners and offering them help with addictions and counselling and stuff like that, things which can be effective for people who really want to change.
i think prison should maybe be tougher - prisoners seem to spend the majority of their time doing nothing, it would make more sense if they had to do comunity service or stuff like that which would mean they weren;t just dossing and also that they were putting something back into society - if prison was hard work it might be more of a detterant for people who commit crime.

Latest

Trending

Trending