The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I'm gay (and a girl, sorry if this thread was more for guys) and going to Birmingham uni in sept. Apparently its got one of the best LGBTs in the country so I can't wait! Its going to be so much easier to be totally open about this part of me without my mom and family around.

And as for all the debate thats going on, due to freedom of speech (which I strongly believe in) theres nothing we can do about heterosexism and homophobics - but we can ignore them until they go away.
Reply 101
naivesincerity
I dont agree..many blokes are as hell...

I agree! and many (a "friend" of mine) really machist (you say taht?) he talks like a hetero man from 1920!!!
Reply 102
I'm gay and I'm going durham this october
As for 'women' I think she's just here for the attention...I pity anyone who can't accept people as they are.
Reply 103
NDGAARONDI
Bigotry. I've experienced enough people cherry picking from the Bible and quoting Levicitus. Then again, I wonder how many people who advocate Levicitus on homosexuality and other books in the Old Testament who also advocate Samson (Judges 16:17) and Absalom (2 Samuel 14:25-26). Absalom's was apparently just out of personal vanity, while Samson was a Nazirite (see Nazirites). But I guess they would reply with Corinthians. :rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying - but my comment was meant to reflect that we are so much more than just sexual beings - and the obsession with sexual predilections merely serves to reduce us to lesser beings! :smile:
kitsune
WHAT A AWESOME REPLY! I JUST LOVE IT! You should become a high-class journalist or a writter!!!

aw thx! hehe i think alevel philosophy has helped me lots...erm...though id love to be in media/journalism..still what happens happens
Reply 105
pandemonium
aw thx! hehe i think alevel philosophy has helped me lots...erm...though id love to be in media/journalism..still what happens happens

philosophy... did you know that "alevel" philosophy and history are compulsory in Spain? :P
Shame on u "woman" for giving religious people a bad name! I know u said u were a muslim, so why are u picking and mixing bits of the bible?! taken out of context and not bearing in mind the culture, people can manipulate the bible and misinterpret it. look at the dutch reform church in africa (i think im right, sorry if wrong!) who used the bible to justify racism. sorry everyone for "womans" homophobic views, not all religious people are so unloving and unaccepting, its the fanatical few that give the rest of us a bad name.
Reply 107
bwgames
Anyone know what Nottingham is like for gay'ness'?

My mate's at Portsmouth, and says its ok, if a bit small, but don't know anyone considering Nottm....?

it's pretty good, pm me if you want specific details

ng1 friday hurray :biggrin:
Janwise
I'm gay (and a girl, sorry if this thread was more for guys) and going to Birmingham uni in sept. Apparently its got one of the best LGBTs in the country so I can't wait! Its going to be so much easier to be totally open about this part of me without my mom and family around.

Yay! im going birmingham (ima guy last time checked :rolleyes: ) and havent heard much about its LBGT society and read this and...yay! hehe.

Erm dunno how this will sound...whys it good though? I dont know much about them so any help be cool!
Reply 109
pandemonium
Yay! im going birmingham (ima guy last time checked :rolleyes: ) and havent heard much about its LBGT society and read this and...yay! hehe.

Erm dunno how this will sound...whys it good though? I dont know much about them so any help be cool!

Hey hey! I just messaged you - before I read this comment...wow, psychic stuff ey :smile: Well for every university I wanted to apply to, I checked out the LGBT cause it means a lot to me. (I'm sure you understand, I want to go to a place where I could revel in my gayness). And out of about 10 places across the country I looked at, Bham was the best. (some of them didn't even have an LGBT.) The website was organised, lots of welfare officers, weekly events, its big as well. And of course Bham has a great scene, I've been there quite a few times and I'm slowly becoming a regular in a drag bar! I've been on the waygay message board and everyone was so friendly...I just get a really good feel about it! I think you should always trust your instincts :wink:

Hope that helps in some way xx
Janwise
Hey hey! I just messaged you - before I read this comment...wow, psychic stuff ey :smile: Well for every university I wanted to apply to, I checked out the LGBT cause it means a lot to me. (I'm sure you understand, I want to go to a place where I could revel in my gayness). And out of about 10 places across the country I looked at, Bham was the best. (some of them didn't even have an LGBT.) The website was organised, lots of welfare officers, weekly events, its big as well. And of course Bham has a great scene, I've been there quite a few times and I'm slowly becoming a regular in a drag bar! I've been on the waygay message board and everyone was so friendly...I just get a really good feel about it! I think you should always trust your instincts :wink:

Hope that helps in some way xx

oooo truly psychicness haha. I think i went as far as checking that the city had some level of gay scene and the uni had an lbgs...didnt realy think about if its good...but whatever!! im going to biiiiiiiiiirminghaaam (avec le accent hehe...erm...french not my strong point) and its got great scene and society...so yays all round!!
xxx
Reply 111
starry
Yes most Unis seem to have very active gay societies that look after you and campaign for gay rights.

What rights do gays not have? Why would they need to campaign?
Reply 112
JonnyB
What rights do gays not have? Why would they need to campaign?

In England... marriage for example? Discrimination in school/uni? (although unis students are supposed to be more mature... = ADULTS!)
Weirdo
I hope I meet lots of gay people :rolleyes: gay guys are cool... generally good friends :wink:

*Tara*

totally agree!!!! would even go as far as sayin they're better than girly friends...
Reply 114
kitsune
In England... marriage for example? Discrimination in school/uni? (although unis students are supposed to be more mature... = ADULTS!)

Marriage... True true, although that will be sorted soon anyway.

With discrimination, as has previously been said, no one's gonna care about that sort of stuff at uni anyway :smile: - well that's what I'd like to think.
*starry_eyed_*
totally agree!!!! would even go as far as sayin they're better than girly friends...

Oh phhlease. :mad:

Zarathustra.
Reply 116
I am a gay lad going to Uni at London this year, I have suffered prejudice throughout my life, and although it has made me a stronger person it has also effected my outlook on life and people. Bigotry has no place in 21st century living, it is unnecessary, and how dare "woman" bring her bigoted views into this thread, I may be wrong but isn't "woman" a muslim? If so, then she is a hypocrite, if someone called her a "paki" (which, might I add is the generalisation for a lot of coloured people) or said her beliefs were "disgusting" etc. She, and her posse of religious zealots would be the first to complain.
I am hoping to meet gay friends when I move to Uni, and maybe even a boyfriend. To be quite honest, I think a lot of people who are generally scared of gays/lesbians are just insecure and in need of a good reality check. In my opinion homophobia is just as bad as racism, why should we put up with it? That's the question...

VIVA LA GAY REVOLUTION :p:
Reply 117
I knew a guy once who used to pretend to be bi to get more girls. God knows how it worked.
I heard that there might be the odd one or two in the univeristy system. Could be just a rumout, though!

Seriosuly, who cares - I certainly don't. I have a few gay friends and it never come up with anyone.
JonnyB
I knew a guy once who used to pretend to be bi to get more girls. God knows how it worked.

Wow, I knew a guy too that pretended to be bi to get girls too, it worked....! Maybe we knew the same guy?!

Latest

Trending

Trending