The Student Room Group

What is the most overrated movie of all time?

Die Hard for me
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of all time: The Toy Story franchise. I acknowledge that the animation in Toy Story One was groundbreaking, but it is a façade for a generic plot with unlikeable characters. Toy Story Two is probably the best of the franchise. Three, Four and especially Lightyear feel like shameless cash grabs meant to (ironically) sell toys.

Of the last year: The Whale. I don't get why people are acting like Brendan Fraser being morose in a fatsuit is so groundbreaking.
The most recent Scream movie.
Hmm Star Wars franchise
Original post by cpt12_
Die Hard for me

Overrated for people often stating it's the best action film ever? or different reasons?
Dirty Dancing
Reply 6
Original post by noggins
Overrated for people often stating it's the best action film ever? or different reasons?

Well it plays a part in me thinking it’s overrated yes but for me personally I just can’t take to it. I’m not really a movie guy anyway but I find the Die Hard franchise incredibly boring to watch
All Quiet On the Western Front

It was not a bad film at all, but it was overrated by the movie critics. It is a good film without a doubt, but not a master piece.
Frozen
I remember when it came out- there was all the hype over it. I dont think its as good as all the hype. There are other disney films that are better.
I suppose it didnt help that i worked in a childrens nursery at the time. But everyone singing "let it go" got on my nerves.
Original post by BlooCheese
Of all time: The Toy Story franchise. I acknowledge that the animation in Toy Story One was groundbreaking, but it is a façade for a generic plot with unlikeable characters. Toy Story Two is probably the best of the franchise. Three, Four and especially Lightyear feel like shameless cash grabs meant to (ironically) sell toys.

Of the last year: The Whale. I don't get why people are acting like Brendan Fraser being morose in a fatsuit is so groundbreaking.

I dont think they are that bad. I wouldnt rave over them but they are decent.
Ill admit keep doing sequels does get a bit boring (after about the 3rd you should think of calling it a day rather than dragging it out). But i think there are a lot worse films.
Original post by cpt12_
Die Hard for me

Avatar of 2009 by James Cameron.
There's a few for me but the first that come to mind are Avatar and Drive
Original post by noelissocute
Hmm Star Wars franchise

Watch some films, they are not bad. The mainstream behind it sucks sometimes, that is true. I never got the people's passion for that.
In terms of hype, of course it has to be anything Marvel. Endgame especially.

In terms of movies that actually have critical acclaim, I'm going to have to go with the Godfather trilogy. I gather this will be an unpopular opinion.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Watch some films, they are not bad. The mainstream behind it sucks sometimes, that is true. I never got the people's passion for that.

Finally someone agrees lol
Titanic
Gravity
Prometheus
Four Weddings...
Love, Actually
The Greatest Showman
Original post by Surnia
Gravity
Prometheus
Four Weddings...
Love, Actually
The Greatest Showman

I agree. Greatest Showman was great, but it was overhyped.
Original post by CoolCavy
Titanic

You are the first person I met who thinks that the film is overrated. Whenever people referred to that film, no one says a negative word about it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
You are the first person I met who thinks that the film is overrated. Whenever people referred to that film, no one says a negative word about it.

I'd go with 'A Night to Remember' over 'Titanic'.

Quick Reply

Latest