The Student Room Group

So will we be banned from driving petrol cars in 2030

So if you have a petrol car, will you be forced to have an electric car by 2030?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You’ll probably have died in a flood or climate change induced war by then to be honest
They can feck off with that
Reply 3
Original post by JJ good girl
So if you have a petrol car, will you be forced to have an electric car by 2030?

No you just can't buy a new one
Original post by Zarek
You’ll probably have died in a flood or climate change induced war by then to be honest

Based.
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek

By 2030?
Original post by fwanligbf
By 2030?

Ye
Reply 7
Original post by toxicgamage56
Ye

No chance
There's not going to be a single climate change induced war by 2030 and the floods that will hit the UK will be as tame as usual. The worst flood to ever hit the UK by 2050 will probably be less devasting than the worst flood of the 20th century
Reply 8
Original post by JJ good girl

No.

Here's the policy:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-takes-historic-step-towards-net-zero-with-end-of-sale-of-new-petrol-and-diesel-cars-by-2030

The 2030 deadline is for the same of new petrol and diesel cars and vans.

It will still be possible to sell "new cars and vans can be sold if they have the capability to drive a significant distance with zero emissions (for example, plug-in hybrids or full hybrids)" up to 2035.
Hybrids should also be banned. Never believed going half in is a great idea, electric only in my opinion. Petrol will not be banned in the EU though, Ferrari complained and the EU caved.
Reply 10
Yes we will

Everything works fine on paper
No chance
There's not going to be a single climate change induced war by 2030 and the floods that will hit the UK will be as tame as usual. The worst flood to ever hit the UK by 2050 will probably be less devasting than the worst flood of the 20th century

You must be fun at parties.
Reply 12
No chance

I won't lie I do fear for this planet and a real catastrophe is not far off
Reply 13
Original post by random_matt
Hybrids should also be banned. Never believed going half in is a great idea, electric only in my opinion. Petrol will not be banned in the EU though, Ferrari complained and the EU caved.

Don't quote me on this, but I think they're being banned too, just a later date, 2035 I think.

That's assuming this whole thing goes through anyway... Really wouldn't surprise me if they push it back or simply opt for ICE cars can be sold as long as they can run on synthetic fuels, which is something that is being looked into (not by Govs, just as a general thing), with F1 planning to move to synthetics in 2026.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see BEVs (in their current state at least) go the same way diesels did. Touted as the climate saviour, then vilified later because they're not quite the saviour they were made out to be.

BEVs in their current state are very much going to be a stepping stone to another BEV tech most likely. Which'll run alongside other alternatives like hydrogen, because the future isn't just one alternative means of power. It'll be several (much like we have petrol and diesel now), some of which may not have even been developed yet.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
Don't quote me on this, but I think they're being banned too, just a later date, 2035 I think.

That's assuming this whole thing goes through anyway... Really wouldn't surprise me if they push it back or simply opt for ICE cars can be sold as long as they can run on synthetic fuels, which is something that is being looked into (not by Govs, just as a general thing), with F1 planning to move to synthetics in 2026.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see BEVs (in their current state at least) go the same way diesels did. Touted as the climate saviour, then vilified later because they're not quite the saviour they were made out to be.

BEVs in their current state are very much going to be a stepping stone to another BEV tech most likely. Which'll run alongside other alternatives like hydrogen, because the future isn't just one alternative means of power. It'll be several (much like we have petrol and diesel now), some of which may not have even been developed yet.

It was E-Fuel, they got an E-Fuel exemption which applies to all manufacturers. The UK will cave and we will continue destroying the planet.
Original post by random_matt
The UK will cave and we will continue destroying the planet.

Tbh this is what I'm expecting them to do, maybe just stick another tax on it.
Reply 16
There is more chance of an alien invasion than this sale ban coming into effect. The EU had a similar idiotic idea and they have backtracked already, providing the cars can use e fuels only you can still sell ICE after 2035. We will need to follow suit since the goal is simply not achievable and e fuels by then will be in full swing anyway as billions are being invested into it as we speak. The idea of only electric vehicles being used and that this will somehow save the world is one in the minds of only the most delusional and uninformed.

EVs are a part of a broader solution but ICE will be around forever, until we can fit little fusion engines into cars like its Fallout.

Fun fact if we removed all cars on the road do you know how much we would reduce our carbon emissions by?

Spoiler

and if we removed all ICE vehicles today and replaced then with EVs how much would we reduce our carbon emissions by?

Spoiler

(edited 10 months ago)
No.

Fun fact - BMW started desinging and creating new V8 and V12 for rolls royce from Jan 2023. Expected to be released in a couple years I believe. They said its what the consumers want so its what theyre gonna give them lol. I assume theyll continue until they are forced to stop
(edited 10 months ago)
I don't care, as I have not a car at all. Beside I don't think that the petrol cars will be banned in 2030.
No, theoretically you will still be able to drive petrol cars. Manufacturers just can't build or sell anymore petrol cars after 2030.

In actuality all that is going to happen is prices of old banger petrol cars will skyrocket even more than they have due to covid and this chip shortage. Which will price people on a low income out of vehicles to get to work or that they use for work (e.g self employed work vans). This would all be well and good if we had the public transport infrastructure to support this but outside of London we do not.

I can see this ban being pushed back, we need a petrol alternative but electric just isn't practical. What are you supposed to do in a victorian terraced house where your whole street wants to charge their vehicles overnight but have no driveways. What about those that live in apartments.

The roads are already full of parked cars, this will make it even worse. Petrol stations always have long queues, now people will have to sit in charging bays for however long it takes to reach a full charge.

The people coming up with this stuff don't live in the real world. I learned to drive because I was fed up of relying on buses that don't turn up and finish running at 6pm in the evening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending