The Student Room Group

My GYG journey..

One half-term of year 10 has finished and I am EXHAUSTED. But nevertheless, I must venture forth into the unknown depths of GCSEs..:eek:

Here are the subjects I am doing for GCSE:
- Higher maths + further maths but haven't started that yet (edexcel)
- Biology, Chemistry and Physics (AQA)
- English lang + English lit (AQA)
- RS (edexcel)
- Geography (edexcel)
- Language (AQA)
- ICT/Computing (OCR)

The subjects I am most stressed about:
- Maths (as I want to do well in it)
- Physics (as the only thing I can do is memorise equations, which clearly isn't enough)
- English lang (you are EPIC if you are able to do well in that subject)
- Geography (because previous examinations have shown that LifeHappens likes the content but clearly struggles with the questions)

The subjects I dislike the most:
- Physics (because having to do more than memorise equations angers me)
- RS (I didn't want to do it in the first place and the essays are absolutely awful)

The subjects I enjoy the most:
- Maths (because why not)
- Chemistry (I have no explanation, I just like chemistry)
- English lit (I don't mind it)
- Geography (even if I'm bad at it, I still like the content)

What will I use this thread for?
To log what I'm working on and studying each day (or whenever I can) so that I can stay motivated to actually work and so that I can look back on myself and think: what a blast I had! (joking)

Thank you to those who have read my post and I hope those of you who are reading and are stressed about gcses can achieve what they most need and hope out of these two chaotic years.

Scroll to see replies

25/10/23 - my first thought...ONLY 2 MORE MONTHS UNTIL CHRISTMAS HOORAY!

My tasks for today:
- Finish analysis for english lit + start memorising quotes
- Start practicing questions for physics
- Do a past paper question for english lang
26/10/23 - my second thought...ONLY 2 MORE MONTHS UNTIL BOXING DAY (not sure why this excites me so much, but it does lol)

My tasks for today:
- Complete + mark past paper for physics
- Test myself on quotes for english lit
- Review flashcards for RS

If I have enough time + energy:
- Continue past paper question for english lang
Reply 3
Aw, this is such a nice way to document your journey and look back at your progress when you get those killer grades! I take almost the same classes as you, except I took history instead of further maths... lol. Anyway, I'm just a year 9 student.

Good luck! xx
Original post by Alm_xo
Aw, this is such a nice way to document your journey and look back at your progress when you get those killer grades! I take almost the same classes as you, except I took history instead of further maths... lol. Anyway, I'm just a year 9 student.

Good luck! xx

Hii, thanks for the comment! As you said, when I'm years older, it would be fun to see the actual progress I would make + it also motivates me to do some studying. I hope I'd continue GYG up until a levels and maybe university even!
That's great you took history - I would have picked it, because it's such an interesting subject, but I'm not so much of an essay person - and it teaches a lot of skills (like stuff that we can apply to english essays too).
:smile:
27/10/23 - the 300th day of the year, 2024 is coming in 65 more days!

My tasks for today:
- Revise a bit for physics
- Review quotes for english lit

Extra:
- Review flashcards for RS
Reply 6
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hii, thanks for the comment! As you said, when I'm years older, it would be fun to see the actual progress I would make + it also motivates me to do some studying. I hope I'd continue GYG up until a levels and maybe university even!
That's great you took history - I would have picked it, because it's such an interesting subject, but I'm not so much of an essay person - and it teaches a lot of skills (like stuff that we can apply to english essays too).
:smile:

Hey there! In my opinion, taking further maths is really impressive! At my school, it's only offered to students who are exceptionally good at maths. They usually only select very few students to study it. Honestly, I study maths just for the grades, I don't actually enjoy it that much. But if I get the chance to study further maths, it would be awesome to add it to my applications! :biggrin:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Alm_xo
Hey there! In my opinion, taking further maths is really impressive! At my school, it's only offered to students who are exceptionally good at maths. They usually only select very few students to study it. Honestly, I study maths just for the grades, I don't actually enjoy it that much. But if I get the chance to study further maths, it would be awesome to add it to my applications! :biggrin:

Hi!
Thanks, I'm a person who enjoys maths a lot and wants to pursue it (crossing my fingers I'd be able to study it at uni), so I hope I'll be able to work hard and do good in further maths as we're most likely to start the hardcore content in year 11!
28/10/23 - THE DAY HAS FINALLY COME...NATIONAL CHOCOLATE DAY!!!!

My tasks for today:
- Finish up quotes for english lit
- Review RS flashcards (unfortunately I keep procrastinating it, so I really have to get a move on)
Reply 9
Hi!
Thanks, I'm a person who enjoys maths a lot and wants to pursue it (crossing my fingers I'd be able to study it at uni), so I hope I'll be able to work hard and do good in further maths as we're most likely to start the hardcore content in year 11!

Wow, that's awesome! I wanna be a doctor someday.
Good luck, hope you make your dreams come true! :smile:
Original post by Alm_xo
Wow, that's awesome! I wanna be a doctor someday.
Good luck, hope you make your dreams come true! :smile:

That's an epic ambition to have! I hope you'll reach there :smile:
29/10/23 - 2 MORE DAYS UNTIL HALLOWEEN...and the last day of my half term holidays....

My tasks for today:
- Revise computing
- Review physics topic
- DO RS FLASHCARDS (I'm afraid this one has been procrastinated for the past one week, so I rlly have to get going with it)
30/10/23 - Oooo one day before halloween...🎃

My tasks for today:
- Practice some physics questions
- Revise computing
31/10/23 - HAPPY HALLOWEEN 🎃🦇

My tasks for today: (less tasks to do compared to other days, which is great)

- Revise physics
01/11/23 - I'm feeling a strange sort of peace today or maybe it's just because I have less tasks to do today hmm..

My task for today:

- Continue revising physics
03/11/23 - FINALLY THE WEEKEND, ABOUT TIME 🤩; I'm also super happy because I ate a nice donut earlier 🥯
My tasks for today:

- Review geography + go through past paper questions for it
- Tidy up my binders and folders because they are AN ORGANISED MESS
04/11/23 - It's a nice, but cold Saturday...🥶

My tasks for the weekend:

- Continue reviewing geography
- Finish the very tedious homework I've been procrastinating

My inner thoughts: do I like chocolate bars or nutella more 🍫....?
07/11/23 - Today was a loooong loooooooooooooong Tuesday; if the time were going as per my clock, it would be Thursday by now...

My tasks for today:

Review geography

Revise some chemistry

Finish off some homework

08/11/23 - ooo today is national cappucino day yum!

My tasks for today:

Review geography again

Revise maths

Reply 19
08/11/23 - ooo today is national cappucino day yum!

My tasks for today:

Review geography again

Revise maths

hey i wanted to ask you something , you said you take higher maths and further maths ..
what does higher maths mean , is it just higher set maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending