The Student Room Group

Favourite Prime Minister?

Favourite Prime Minister and why
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by RLSIO23
Favourite Prime Minister and why

Churchill for war reasons.

for civilian use, I would say Atlee and his legacy with the NHS.
Reply 2
Disraeli or Gladstone.

Of more modern times, Thatcher has a marginal victory over Major and MacMillan. All had flaws but were superior to the alternatives.
Reply 3
Original post by jacksmith23
Churchill for war reasons.
for civilian use, I would say Atlee and his legacy with the NHS.

Interesting that you reward him for a scheme planned by a Liberal and approved by a Tory PM.
Clement Attlee, for the NHS and leading a government of competent ministers as a genuine first among equals.
Truss - obvious reasons 😅
Boris Johnson was deeply flawed on some levels but nevertheless he understood much of what the electorate wanted and unlike other PMs appointed by their party, he submitted himself to the ultimate test - a General Election - and won by a landslide.
He tried to implement the same system he'd successfully used during his time as Mayor of London - that of not trying to be in control of everything but to delegate to trusted colleagues and to have oversight of what they did.
All of the plans and strategies went out of the window when Covid struck. Along with much of the developed world, plans had to be made on the hoof and without the normal research. Some of these he and his government got right and others wrong. That is part of being human, but I think that the electorate forget sometimes that their representatives are only human and not some separate species where they can't make mistakes.
Many people were looking for someone to blame for the deaths of loved ones and he was their chosen figurehead. With conflicting medical opinions and no experience in the management of a pandemic, I'm not convinced that having anyone else as PM would have delivered different results. We'll never be absolutely sure.
He kept the economy afloat by borrowing billions so that businesses that were closed could afford to continue to pay their staff, and so still exist once the medical situation improved. It was, economically, one of the least Conservative things that he ever did and although not widely recognised, it was a courageous move.
One of his flaws was an old-school loyalty to his friends and this eventually caused his downfall.
Nevertheless, he delivered on the main issue of the day which was to see through Brexit which was designed to return certain areas of decision-making and power from the unelected and undemocratic EU to the sovereign will of the UK Parliament.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending