The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
how come Gimi aint metioned.
Reply 21
MadNatSci
I thought Tom Bombadil and the scouring of the Shire were the low points of the books...

They were awesome, Tom Bombadil really gave you the feeling of how Tolkein created his masterpiece. It was a blend of folk takes with pure genius. The scouring of the Shire was particularly poignant as it made it more realistic, not even the hobbits homes escape wreck and destruction unlike most other books, where the hero still has sanity to return to.
Reply 22
i hate frodo
Reply 23
JSM
They were awesome, Tom Bombadil really gave you the feeling of how Tolkein created his masterpiece. It was a blend of folk takes with pure genius. The scouring of the Shire was particularly poignant as it made it more realistic, not even the hobbits homes escape wreck and destruction unlike most other books, where the hero still has sanity to return to.

well done that man!! good points

Arawyn (cant spell it, liv tylers) is over emphasised in the film (so far that is) and what the hell is that bit about Aragorn falling over the edge into the river about?
Reply 24
MattG

Arawyn (cant spell it, liv tylers) is over emphasised in the film (so far that is) and what the hell is that bit about Aragorn falling over the edge into the river about?

id agree with those points
Reply 25
JSM
id agree with those points

thank god you'll actually male, i relised after that you could have been a woman (i hadnt checked your profile)

its happened before, lol
Reply 26
MattG

Arwen definitely has a ridiculously large part in the films, but at least characterwise she's fairly faithful to the book. I can't believe they wanted her to fight at Helm's Deep *shudder*.

Oh, btw, you know that bit where Aragorn wakes up when she kisses him - me and my sister can't be the only ones that thought he was kissing his horse...? :rolleyes:
Thought I'd bring this up to top in case the lord of the rings seems in danger of hijacking the big read discussion (sorry to the rest of you). But I am now off to bed so can't contribute - work in the morning :frown:
Reply 28
I agree that the movie would be somewhat anti-climactic if they added the part about Saruman in the shire at the end, but I still think it takes away from one of the biggest points of the book. *Everything is affected by evil and there is no way around it, nobody is immune to it (evil that is).*
Reply 29
Oh and Tom Bombidil (spelling is crap) really didn't play that big of a part in the novels. All it really did was to get the reader interested so that they would be able to keep going through the parts that were a little slow afterwards (that is up until they form the fellowship at Rivendale).

I thought it was funny that the reason they didn't give him the ring was because he would probobly loose it. lol

Latest

Trending

Trending