The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Originally posted by Unregistered
Ok How is it legal for them to pick and choose who their taking to court. How is it legal for them to have the ability to sue 1,000,000 people but only take 3,000 they Discriminately CHOOSE to sue. I dont see how that's allowed.

that is easy. the courts know it is impossible for them to get everyone. in fact, it is to the courts advantage, as well as everyone else, that they dont. you see, the more people go to court, the more the tax payers pay. it isnt cheap. RIAA knows it cant get everyone. there isnt a law against not sueing everyone...rofl. even so, it is not plausible to get everyone to court, even one by one. so, it is allowed...dunno where u came off suggesting it wasnt. it is their lawsuit....
Originally posted by Unregistered
has anyone else noticed that they might be messing with the new songs that ur tryoing to download all of me and friends songs that we try to download start off good and then get all fuzzy and u can't hear it well i've heard this on over 10 songs

Umm, yes, as a matter of fac tI have also noticed how the songsd i have been downloading start off and then like not even thiry seconds into the song it just gets this really loud annoying fuzzy sound. I never really thought that perhaps someone could be messing with it.
I think its great that the record industry is finally going after the ones who actually deserve to be hunted down.....the users! They are the ones doing the illegal acts so there is not real justification for them to complain. This is the RIAA's best shot and if they succeed so be it. The users know what they are doing is illegal.

David
i lose. they can't touch u guys in the uk can they?
It has been said we can not touch the europeans. Well we'll embargo them then the 10 stone weaklings. No more pepsi no more macdonalds.
They won't be so smug then. These people are a cancer on society (not the sort of cancer we price third world countries out of treating).

ps heart disease and rotting teeth rule

pps it is unfair to say metalica milking 60 million out of a record deal is criminal.
All this talk about music, thats fine and all, but what about movie. What about people who who download divx movies and such. Anyone know if they are being targeted???

Oh yeah and in all the lists i've seen of users, this one user comes up a lot: www.k_lite.tk_Kazaa_Lite@Kazaa. Dude sure is popular hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Technically we are not openly posting our files for open sharing. When we download the software, it automatically enables file sharing of your files. The only voluntary action that we take is the downloading of the files. Then again, that is like give a teenager a credit card (and I am a teenager, which is bad for me to say this) and expect us not to use it. If you would like to share your thoughts with me, email me at [email protected] with the SUBJECT: FILESHARING DEBATE
Their ploy seems to be working. I've been using morpheus/grokster/Kazaa/KazaaLite for a few years now and have seen the figures for people online at any one time go from under 1 million to 4.5 million or so. Over the last few weeks this has dropped to around 3 to 3.5 million. All i can say is everyone use KazaaLite[K++edition] version 2.1.0 with the K++ mod built in. This has an option to turn off the 'Find more from same user' search. This stops people from looking into your shared folders. It DOESN'T stop you from sharing your files. So the RIAA are going to have to get lucky and choose a file you happen to have, when you're online, out of the hundreds of people who have that file to be able to get you. Long odds me thinks :wink:
i hope the RIAA realizes that once they sue the wrong computer nerd or kid or whoever who is a hacker or has friends who hack all hell will break loose. Hackers will screw up every computer that the RIAA owns and then we have to think that we will still be using kazaa, but it will be called something else. it started with napster and it is still going even though napster has been shut down.
We won't be able to keep sharing files if you just shit your pants and run away from sharing yoru files!

Downloading is safer than sharing, but it is NOT OKAY to just download and not share, because then the networks won't work.

If you are worried, just switch to a new network, soul seek, lime wire, whatever.

Just don't let em win by scaring you. They're wrong, don't forget that.
Music business is an oxymoron. Something that comes from the human soul from nothing is not for sale. This is the true disease of immorality that capitalist pigs who think anything is for sale spread throughout mankind. Not to mention the price gouging that has been going on between retailers and the industry as well as artists who recieve pennies off of CD sales. That's why they TOUR. That is how they make their money and always has been. So download away, maties. Even the RIAA doesn't have enough money to sue everyone. They may try to make examples but they will never win.

ARRRR!!
music lover
I think they should just sue the creator of kazaa. We're the customers. I mean, come on. Who would give up a chance to download free music?

Why? If someone gets shot we don't sue the makers of the gun. It's the person using the gun / program that is responsible committing the offence. All the Kazaa guy is doing is providing a database so people can share, it's the users that are illegally putting music and software on the database.
Reply 72
Unregistered
They're wrong, don't forget that.

I'm sorry but I fail to see how that point is correct- Even if the record companies are charging ridiculous amounts for their goods it doesn't give you the right to steal them! That is in affect what your doing- even if you don't see it that way...

Unregistered
Music business is an oxymoron. Something that comes from the human soul from nothing is not for sale. This is the true disease of immorality that capitalist pigs who think anything is for sale spread throughout mankind. Not to mention the price gouging that has been going on between retailers and the industry as well as artists who recieve pennies off of CD sales. That's why they TOUR. That is how they make their money and always has been. So download away, maties.

Money is made from record sales...obviously the bands etc never get as much as they should but they'll make much less if everyone decides they no longer want to pay for it and start downloading...if you are saying that music should not have to be paid for because it 'comes from the human soul' then how are the bands etc suppossed to make a living?
I agree with Egan1 on this. We're all comitting piracey by downloading music or films or retail software or etc, etc ,etc. But to what extent? Before P2P networks came along i had a large quatity of C90 cassettes with all of my favorite bands on, i copied them all off mates (showing my age here). Illegal copying has been going on since storage medium was invented. Are we really comitting an offence on the same scale as the far east gangs? I admit that the P2P networks are extremely powerful now and ARE weakening the market. How's the best way to cure the problem? Should they just take everyone to court and expect them to be frightened to the shops for their music, come on this is the 21st century. They should use the problem to create an answer.

The RIAA should combat it by opening up their back-catalogues on their own network. For a small registration fee the music or any digital medium, could be made available. By cutting out manufacturing and marketing costs the amount made in registration fees would purely be royalty money for the artists (minus network admin costs).
Unregistered
To whom this concerns:

1) rumors: Someone I know said that Kazaa is suing random users up to $150,000 per song they download. "They need the money for lawyers for their cases!!!"

2) Im sure that they (gov./kazaa) want us to lay low for a while, I also heard that they are targeting the high users. The ones noted as "Supreme Beings" on kazaa

3) Recommendations: -Don't dl for a while
-Don't let other people upload
-follow posts and the news
-spread the word about the lawsuits,
there are still people that don't know
about them.
-Check into other dl sites, (ie: iMESH)
iMESH hasn't been targeted yet... :smile:

Peace out...
AIM = tyler91787

Peace out?
best to lie low a while?
You are beginning to sound like an infiltrator my friend
sucks for you guys... i never have downloaded a song off of kazaa, or the network... i use kazaa lite my self. i just download games.... i disabled my upload. but ill tell u one thing... those 900+ songs on my sisters computer better go away soon, cuz i dont want my mom paying 900 x 150,000$...

"Hollywood's disdain for file-sharing can be measured in the 10-foot stack of papers that make up Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios v. Grokster et al., which sits on file in the Los Angeles federal courthouse. In the suit, a roster of entertainment conglomerates accuse FastTrack-enabled services Kazaa, Morpheus, and Grokster of profiting from a "21st-century piratical bazaar." Record labels and movie studios want the services closed and fined $150,000 for each illegally traded song or movie. Given the billions of files changing hands every week, the damages could be astronomical."

= fined $150,000 for each illegally traded song or movie.

damn that would be hella money... 900 x 150,000$ !!!
After reading an earlier post. Someone said something about K++, what is that? I have 450 songs and i dont want to have to get rid of them. Whatever K++ is it sounds lie ka good thing to have.
Reply 77
yes defanitley i have maybe aout 1,000 some odd songs so i think that would be a great tool

CR
Reply 78
CR3
i agree with egan
CR

-After I basically said downloading wasn't morally right (on the Kazaa has gone down thread...)

CR3
yes defanitley i have maybe aout 1,000 some odd songs so i think that would be a great tool
CR

-and yet here you are talking about your downloads? :confused:
Reply 79
Or do you just agree it's wrong but do it anyway? :P

Latest

Trending

Trending