The Student Room Group

Lazy team members what I can do?

I post this as I am going back to university next week.

As apart of our group design project we have had to design a website which lets people login, see education articles and then take quizes. Teachers then have to able to easily make their own quizes up.

I am the main programmer and no body else is doing much work, I've produced all of the site so far and the people who were supposed to be typing up the quizes haven't done it. I have no motivation to get this site donebecause I know others aren't doing it.

The problem my team members are also my mates so I can't complain or anything. Am I stuck?
Reply 1
amazingtrade

As apart of our group design project we have had to design a website which lets people login, see education articles and then take quizes. Teachers then have to able to easily make their own quizes up.

I am the main programmer and no body else is doing much work, I've produced all of the site so far and the people who were supposed to be typing up the quizes haven't done it. I have no motivation to get this site donebecause I know others aren't doing it.

The problem my team members are also my mates so I can't complain or anything. Am I stuck?

I have always faced the same problem..Just show them that you won't do anything if they don't bother and have other plans prepared... :smile:
Reply 2
amazingtrade

i know there you're mates, but you're just going to have to tell them to get off their arses and do some work. it isn't fair that you should have to do it all and they know it. try some gentle nagging, it might do the trick...after that try bribery (i'm sure you must know some unfortunate secrets they wouldn't want you *accidentally* to let slip... :wink: ).
Reply 3
Just say you did all the work and the others did nothing, that way you will get all the marks and they will get nothing.... maybe?
Reply 4
amazingtrade

I know what it's like when you're the only person in the group doing the work. You could try saying something to them in a jokey way at first so that they won't get offended but they will still hear your opinions. If that doesn't work you'll just have to talk to them and tell them that you don't want to have a go, but you feel like you're doing more work than them.

It's a difficult one, but if you explain it to your friends in a nice way they should hopefully see where you're coming from and not get annoyed at you. If that doesn't work you're just going to have to ask yourself whether it's worth doing all the work yourself or not. Because at the end of the day you have a degree riding on it (or does it not go towards your marks?)
Reply 5
I have dropped hints all through the module, the project manager does do the work, he produces the reports and stuff but keeps out of motivating the team members which means it gets left to me. This website is huge and is quite complex in terms of proggraming.

Other groups are really dedicatated but mine is not :frown: It seems I am not the only one with this problem reading peoples replies. Last year we even put on the report that people didn't do the work, we all still got the same mark (52%) which really annoyed me. I didn't bother querying it because the first year is not worth anything. I can't be getting 52% or any modules this semester though as I want that 2:1.

I may tell them that if they don't do the work I shall make it clear to the tutors. The problem is they do a little bit of the work but no where near enough.
Reply 6
Anyone who is prepared to let you down like that isn't much of a mate.
Reply 7
I think half of the problem is I am very hard working and more mature than some of the others. Our team is in the middle, we are clever but others are lazy. Some teams work really hard and get 80% in these modules. I work really hard but do really bad in team work. Their asparations is to get a pass, mine is to get a 2:1 or 1st. This may be another argument against accepting people with lowish entry points under 21.
Reply 8
amazingtrade
I have dropped hints all through the module, the project manager does do the work, he produces the reports and stuff but keeps out of motivating the team members which means it gets left to me. This website is huge and is quite complex in terms of proggraming.

Other groups are really dedicatated but mine is not :frown: It seems I am not the only one with this problem reading peoples replies. Last year we even put on the report that people didn't do the work, we all still got the same mark (52%) which really annoyed me. I didn't bother querying it because the first year is not worth anything. I can't be getting 52% or any modules this semester though as I want that 2:1.

I may tell them that if they don't do the work I shall make it clear to the tutors. The problem is they do a little bit of the work but no where near enough.

I hate being in that position because you don't want to say anything to upset your mates but you also want to get good marks without having to do all the work yourself. You could try taking charge and telling individuals exactly what you want them to do so they know and don't just say "well I thought so and so was doing it".
Reply 9
~Sam~
I hate being in that position because you don't want to say anything to upset your mates but you also want to get good marks without having to do all the work yourself. You could try taking charge and telling individuals exactly what you want them to do so they know and don't just say "well I thought so and so was doing it".

Yep I've got it all in black and white in Gannt charts which tells people exacty what they are supposed be doing when. Its way off par.

P.S I hope my tutor is not reading this otherwise our team has failed. :biggrin:
Reply 10
amazingtrade
Yep I've got it all in black and white in Gannt charts which tells people exacty what they are supposed be doing when. Its way off par.

P.S I hope my tutor is not reading this otherwise our team has failed. :biggrin:

Lol, I don't know what to say then. I would probably just end up doing all the work myself in fear of getting a bad mark. But you shouldn't have to do that! Is there another person in your group who is doing work? Because then if there's two of you the rest of the people are more likely to listen
Reply 11
~Sam~
Lol, I don't know what to say then. I would probably just end up doing all the work myself in fear of getting a bad mark. But you shouldn't have to do that! Is there another person in your group who is doing work? Because then if there's two of you the rest of the people are more likely to listen

Yeah another team member is doing the work but he is doing the paper work, there is 5 people in the team, one doing thje paper work the other four producing the site. But apart froma couple of graphics its been mainly me that has produced it. Mmebers have done little bits, but its like I've put 30 hours in so far, others have put 5.

It was exactly the same last year.
Reply 12
I had a friend who never did anything. On one project I wrote exactly what I had done ON the assignment. She bucked her ideas up next time round :smile:. Why shouldn't YOU be credited for YOUR work within the team? Part of team work is working together, not allowing people to sponge off you. If you need to do this to show these people, it is GOOD team work not bad team work :smile:
Reply 13
You should have learnt from your mistakes.

When doing teamwork, don't choose your "mates"
Reply 14
amazingtrade
Yeah another team member is doing the work but he is doing the paper work, there is 5 people in the team, one doing thje paper work the other four producing the site. But apart froma couple of graphics its been mainly me that has produced it. Mmebers have done little bits, but its like I've put 30 hours in so far, others have put 5.

It was exactly the same last year.

Yeah we had to do a group presentation in English. It wasn't coursework (just something to "impress" ofstead!) but still, it was an important piece of work that went towards our predictions. No-one was taking it seriously and I never have the confidence to have a go at people, especially when I don't know them very well. It's really annoying but sometimes there's nothing you can do.
Reply 15
blissy
I had a friend who never did anything. On one project I wrote exactly what I had done ON the assignment. She bucked her ideas up next time round :smile:. Why shouldn't YOU be credited for YOUR work within the team? Part of team work is working together, not allowing people to sponge off you. If you need to do this to show these people, it is GOOD team work not bad team work :smile:

So we give you good advice and you don't respond. How impolite! :wink:
Reply 16
blissy
So we give you good advice and you don't respond. How impolite! :wink:

hehe sorry, I didn't resposnd because I knew you were write and as result will be marked on the fact we didn't work as a team and utimatly get a bad mark.
Reply 17
amazingtrade
hehe sorry, I didn't resposnd because I knew you were write and as result will be marked on the fact we didn't work as a team and utimatly get a bad mark.

A lot of teachers think that if you do what I did you are just annoying - but in a real-life working situation you need to tell your peers because you work in a team EVERY day rather than for a few short projects during your university years.

Latest

Trending

Trending