The Student Room Group
Reply 1
DAB is quite pointless at the moment, the compression is so high that its worse than MP3 quality. FM is by far the best sounding music broadcase medium.

I won;t be investing in DAB until they reduce the channels and improve the sound quality.
i got it for the extra stations: bbc7 the storm, etc and it is worth it to listen to some of their programmes when its just speech. if i wan't to listen to music properly, i use fm
Reply 3
scarlet ibis
has anyone else got a digital radio? i got one few weeks ago and the only way of getting a halfway decent signal (it still sounds 'bubbly') for the bbc stations is to put it on top of a pile of books an an upsatirs window. we have such bad reception down here! its unfair - us country bumpkins want to listen to good music as well! :rolleyes:

Nope, but get all the dig radio stations through freeview - the quality is very good. Especially for free!
Reply 4
Fluffy
Nope, but get all the dig radio stations through freeview - the quality is very good. Especially for free!

Its still not as good as FM but probably as good as DAB, my freebox is going through a £100 DAC (digital to analogue convertor) it sounds pretty good though. Some of the stations use frequency compression (different to data compression) which makes it sound very flat though and these are only designed to be played via a TV and not via a £1000+ HIFI seperates system like I have.
Reply 5
amazingtrade
Its still not as good as FM but probably as good as DAB, my freebox is going through a £100 DAC (digital to analogue convertor) it sounds pretty good though. Some of the stations use frequency compression (different to data compression) which makes it sound very flat though and these are only designed to be played via a TV and not via a £1000+ HIFI seperates system like I have.

we have a very poor FM reception where we live, so digital really does rock!
Reply 6
I've got DAB intergrated TV which is ok hahaha channels for free! We've also got a PURE digital radio the reception is better on it than on the analogue radio (well it is in the kitchen, not my bedroom)
Reply 7
I assume nobody here as a purpose built FM anthena?
Reply 8
amazingtrade
I assume nobody here as a purpose built FM anthena?

well my hi-fi has an antena thing and a cabley thing as well, I think one's for FM and one's for AM...

I didn't build it by accident though, nor on purpose :biggrin:
amazingtrade

My digital radio sounds excellent, thanks. Far better than FM reception, even on my stereo.
Reply 10
Dr. Blazed
My digital radio sounds excellent, thanks. Far better than FM reception, even on my stereo.

Mine too.
Reply 11
Don't confuse reception with sound quality, they are too different things.
Reply 12
amazingtrade

You're kidding me?
amazingtrade

I never would, and I never have.
Reply 14
Reception is how strong the signal is, however I could transmit a signal coming from a £30 ALBA CD player on a 89.3Mhz using very high quality transmitters and it would sound awful no matter how strong the signal is even it was 90db.

This is kind of how digital works, the reception appears clean as its digital so you don't get the anologue noise. However the data rate (bits per second) of DAB is very poor, this makes the sound quite compressed compared to FM, and FM is in no means perfect.
amazingtrade
Reception is how strong the signal is, however I could transmit a signal coming from a £30 ALBA CD player on a 89.3Mhz using very high quality transmitters and it would sound awful no matter how strong the signal is even it was 90db.

This is kind of how digital works, the reception appears clean as its digital so you don't get the anologue noise. However the data rate (bits per second) of DAB is very poor, this makes the sound quite compressed compared to FM, and FM is in no means perfect.

You know, I actually don't care. The point is that digital radio sounds better than analogue, and it isn't because of the quality of the equipment.
Reply 16
Only because its cleaner, digital just sounds too rolled off for me, CD is ok but even that dosn't quite match up with vinyl. I am talking about frequency response, ambience etc, not a few crackles.
amazingtrade
Only because its cleaner, digital just sounds too rolled off for me, CD is ok but even that dosn't quite match up with vinyl. I am talking about frequency response, ambience etc, not a few crackles.

Compression does it for me.

I mean that in the most sexual of ways.
Reply 18
cant you listen on the bbc website then you get better quality if you have good speakers that is
YAY we finally got a digital radio transmitter in Exeter!! no more perching my radio on a pile of books to get a bubbly signal from torquay! i can listen to bbc7 in bed! :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending