The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I accidentally come from the city on the north of HK... :biggrin:
What a surprise !
Ya, should be "on", not "at", I think...
Reply 2
hk_ghetto
Just wondering if there's anyone else on UK-learning from here, or been here?

I know ppl from HK
Reply 3
hk_ghetto

Yeah, I've been there a few times. I've stayed both on the Island and Kowloon. It's a fabulous city - something for everybody. Go to Lan Guiae Fong (spelling!!) sometime at night - it's this buzzing street with loads of bars and clubs, it's always been packed and it's great fun.
Reply 4
amexblack
Yeah, I've been there a few times. I've stayed both on the Island and Kowloon. It's a fabulous city - something for everybody. Go to Lan Guiae Fong (spelling!!) sometime at night - it's this buzzing street with loads of bars and clubs, it's always been packed and it's great fun.

i have relatives there. its such a great place because you have chinese and western culture rolled into one.
Reply 5
David_Frank
I accidentally come from the city on the north of HK... :biggrin:
What a surprise !
Ya, should be "on", not "at", I think...

your sig should read: "at least give me a chinese xp system"
Yeah I went to play rugby there last summer. Was very nice.
Reply 7
you gotta take advantage of all the early technology too. over christmas I got a mate to get me the T630, it'll be ages until it's available here. And yanno the brand new Oyster card for the london underground? HK have had a similar system for years. And with their's you can top your card up and buy stuff from food outlets and stuff.
Reply 8
seem I have got it wrong again... :redface:

But it really surprise me,
we have several foreign visitors here... :biggrin:
Reply 9
I am going to watch the rugby sevens when they're on! One of my best mates lives in HK (we'ew at boarding school) and he says it's wicked!

Looking forward to it!

Adam
Tnacilppa
I am going to watch the rugby sevens when they're on! One of my best mates lives in HK (we'ew at boarding school) and he says it's wicked!

Looking forward to it!

Adam

I played in a U18's 7's tournmanent therer this summer. Rather disliked the pitch, it was dreadful.
Reply 11
What touristy things do you recommend doing/seeing in HK? Thinking of going there this summer...
Reply 12
*boo*
What touristy things do you recommend doing/seeing in HK? Thinking of going there this summer...

Try and sit on the right of the aircraft as you fly into the new airport, look out the window and if its a good day you should see a magnificient giant buddha sitting on a mountain side. I forget the name of this island (but the bridge from the airport island to HK island passes over it). That's well worth a visit, but I think you must go by boat.

Aberdeen harbour is very nice, with great markets and sand pans. You should visit kowloon and the new territories too. Whilst on kowloon be sure to have dim sum at the peninsula's restaurant - it's very nice.

What kinda budget are you going on? You'll probably want to stay on the island, and here the mandarin oriental is a very nice hotel. there are plenty of cheap hotels too. there is a novotel which is in a great location for nightlife.
*boo*

Im from HK! I live in England, but i was born in HK so :tongue:
*boo*

eating, going to the seaside...

and the ultimate...SHOPPING
I was supposed to go to live in Hong Kong for seven years when I was 2 but my Dad got a better deal with a company in England. I have been there several times, especially when I was living in Singapore and its fantastic! I also have lots of friends who live out there!
Reply 16
Looking forward to the shopping. Not sure how much I'd bring with me but hoping to buy a laptop for uni next year. Not sure if it's better to buy one over there or in the uk. If I do buy one from hk, would there be english versions and what is the price range for any decent laptop?
*boo*
Looking forward to the shopping. Not sure how much I'd bring with me but hoping to buy a laptop for uni next year. Not sure if it's better to buy one over there or in the uk. If I do buy one from hk, would there be english versions and what is the price range for any decent laptop?

erm...well i've never actually been to Hong Kong. I was born in China, which is less westernised and they have english version laptops so I would have thought that Hong Kong probably has it. i have absolutely no idea what it would cost...

Oh and the mobile phones are so cute! You get all these little dangling things and cartoon flash character thingys to stick on them, and its amazing! And not to mention fashion shopping...
Reply 18
white_solitude

Oh and the mobile phones are so cute! You get all these little dangling things and cartoon flash character thingys to stick on them, and its amazing! And not to mention fashion shopping...

haha, yeah tell me about it. my mum took the piss so much when i spent the equivalent of £60 on a little gucci strap for my phone!!
hk_ghetto

my parents went there on holiday it was where i was concieved

Latest

Trending

Trending