The Student Room Group

Newcastle Dentistry 2024 Entry

Welcome to the Newcastle Dentistry 2024 Entry discussion thread.

Useful links:

The “Which dental school should I apply to?” Thread: The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread - The Student Room

TSR Dentistry Wiki: Dentistry - The Student Room

Dentistry Undergraduate Entry Requirements: Dentistry Entry Requirements | The Student Room

Dentistry Graduate Entry Requirements: Graduate entry requirements for dentistry | The Student Room

Pre-dentistry/ Gateway Entry Requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dental-courses

General TSR Rules:

Do not ask for or post group chat links.

Do not ask for or post interview questions.

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wow, no one here, thats surprising.

Anyways, what do people think the cutoff for ncl would be with and without PARTNERS esp with prelim deciles out?

Also does anyone know by how much the cutoff decreases if you apply with PARTNERS?

Thanks in advance
Original post by DestroyerN
wow, no one here, thats surprising.

Anyways, what do people think the cutoff for ncl would be with and without PARTNERS esp with prelim deciles out?

Also does anyone know by how much the cutoff decreases if you apply with PARTNERS?

Thanks in advance

From what I've seen, the cutoff depends each year depending on the cohort of applications. For example if you check: https://www.theukcatpeople.co.uk/guide/dental-school/dentistry/university-of-newcastle the cutoff has supposedly shot up for last year entry, although I don't know how reliable this data is. I don't think it will be easy to tell what the cutoff will be, especially if there are factors such as deferred entry from last year, reducing the number of places. I've also heard that it's not guaranteed that PARTNERS applicants will have a lower threshold for UCAT (stated in PARTNERS FAQ), so if it's risky to apply to a dental school where it's unknown whether you're be rejected pre-interview, it would probably be even riskier for a PARTNERS applicant with a lower UCAT. I don't think there's any way of telling what the cutoff would be for ncl but I would say having 2700+ for PARTNERS is an at least alright bet. Highest confirmed cutoff is 2740- I saw somewhere here on tsr that the cutoff differs from 40-50 but I can't find that anywhere lol.
Another thing I heard about PARTNERS is that there's not necessarily a cutoff, and that PARTNERS applications are judged on a case-by-case basis. I'm not sure if that means other extenuating circumstances or not.
Original post by EquivocateU2
Another thing I heard about PARTNERS is that there's not necessarily a cutoff, and that PARTNERS applications are judged on a case-by-case basis. I'm not sure if that means other extenuating circumstances or not.

Hi, so does this mean that there is not a set cut off for partners? Have you asked this from admission as well?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by TinaSina336
Hi, so does this mean that there is not a set cut off for partners? Have you asked this from admission as well?

It's a thing I saw on tsr I think on the 2023 entry thread, but I think that's only true if there are serious extenuating circumstances.

Just found this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/dentistry_partners_statistics?unfold=1 which suggests that the PARTNERS cutoff doesn't differ massively from non-PARTNERS since both score similarly.
I spoke to admissions today. They said 2023 cutoff was 2790. This would mean a jump of 100 points from previous year. However, I have seen a number of people on last year's thread who reported offers and interviews in low 2700 (2730 that person was non partners as was a grad, seen others reporting hearing about offers below 2770). So not at all sure what to make out of it. Will be applying with 2810 (I am a grad) and will be hoping for the best.
(edited 7 months ago)
I went to the open day for this year entry. The UCAT cutoff was 2790 that year but it all depends on the cohort. The 100 jump means not that much. It can go down, as was the case from 2021 to 2022. Even if you're not widening participation, there's still a chance as high UCAT doesn't guarantee interview- they will discard it if your personal statement isn't up to standard.
Yes, I agree. And of course last year's cohort would have been going off previous years cut off of 2690 so the top 300 applicants had higher scores. Normally the case with medicine applications, is that you try to stay good 50 points clear off the cut offs.
Are you applying to Newcatsle? What's your stats?
I'm thinking about it. I have a relatively low ucat score for offers at Newcastle, but I'm still going to give it a try, as well as a few others I know who have similar scores
Good luck with all your applications!
Reply 11
I'm thinking about it. I have a relatively low ucat score for offers at Newcastle, but I'm still going to give it a try, as well as a few others I know who have similar scores

Do you mean you know if people who will apply with a UCAT below last years threshold?
Original post by Rivkygoldkin
Good luck with all your applications!

Thank you! All the best!

Original post by Jetjo123
Do you mean you know if people who will apply with a UCAT below last years threshold?

People always do each year, because the threshold could literally be anything. And I know people who will this year, probably because of PARTNERS too. It's worth it.

Original post by TinaSina336

Hi,

For our Dental Surgery BDS (A206) programme, The UCAT threshold may differ in each year as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who have applied in the current application cycle.

The UCAT threshold may be lower for PARTNERS Programme applicants, however, for ‘standard’ and PARTNERS applicants, we are unable to disclose the UCAT threshold for the current admissions cycle. Details of the UCAT threshold for previous years are available.

I hope this helps :smile:
Lydia
Hey everyone! Hope you're all doing well 🥰, with the UCAS deadline approaching why not check out the new 2024 entry Dentistry A200 / A201 fastest and slowest offer senders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7409162
And post your own application journey?
Did anyone receive acknowledgment from ncl? I applied on 4 October & yet to receive any acknowledgment.
Original post by Firefang081
Did anyone receive acknowledgment from ncl? I applied on 4 October & yet to receive any acknowledgment.

I applied an hour before the deadline (18:00 15/10) and recieved acknowledgement 4 hours later - might be worth emailing them?
(edited 6 months ago)
Ya, definitely will send an email to them

Ya, definitely will send an email to them

Hi @Firefang081,

All applicants who apply to Newcastle University via UCAS should receive an email from us inviting them to register for the Apply to Newcastle Portal. This email would be an indication that your application has been received.

However, if you would like to check that we have your application you are welcome to contact us.

Hana :smile:
anyone heard anything yet?

Quick Reply

Latest