The Student Room Group

route to being a hygienist

hi there ,
I have just stumbled upon this route but my alevls are completely off track and reset snot too great I got a PHYSCOLOGY-C, ECONOMICS-D, COMPUTING-E
I am interested in studying dental hygiene in uni but looking at options to getting quicker and securing a place into uni.

from what I have understood the options are

-- register for a dental nurse course or an apprenticeship followed by a level 4 in oral health. but can't find any specific information if that's good enough to then apply for uni place
OR
--do a foundation degree in oral health at uni of Essex which then says you are a dental hygienist .

--question is how difference is the course taught at university which is a bachelors to the foundation degree taught at Essex ?

any help , advice will be appreciated - as I am a novice and just trying to see all options and routes .
thanks
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Farizk
hi there ,
I have just stumbled upon this route but my alevls are completely off track and reset snot too great I got a PHYSCOLOGY-C, ECONOMICS-D, COMPUTING-E
I am interested in studying dental hygiene in uni but looking at options to getting quicker and securing a place into uni.
from what I have understood the options are
-- register for a dental nurse course or an apprenticeship followed by a level 4 in oral health. but can't find any specific information if that's good enough to then apply for uni place
OR
--do a foundation degree in oral health at uni of Essex which then says you are a dental hygienist .
--question is how difference is the course taught at university which is a bachelors to the foundation degree taught at Essex ?
any help , advice will be appreciated - as I am a novice and just trying to see all options and routes .
thanks

Hey I applied for the oral sciences course at uni of Essex with only my dental nursing diploma ( I did an apprenticeship) and I have no alevels just gcses. And I got offered an interview, I’ve heard it can depend on ur personal statement too, as I’ve seen a girl on here who’s been a dental nurse for 12 years and has never been accepted whilst constantly trying for 5 years.

But if ur doing dental nursing I’d recommend doing either an access course on the side or something like radiology/ oral health any other dental course to back up ur application.

The foundation degree will allow u to be registered as a dental hygienist, whilst the bachelors is an optional degree for hygienists who want to also be a dental therapist xx
Reply 2
Original post by Mare2003
Hey I applied for the oral sciences course at uni of Essex with only my dental nursing diploma ( I did an apprenticeship) and I have no alevels just gcses. And I got offered an interview, I’ve heard it can depend on ur personal statement too, as I’ve seen a girl on here who’s been a dental nurse for 12 years and has never been accepted whilst constantly trying for 5 years.
But if ur doing dental nursing I’d recommend doing either an access course on the side or something like radiology/ oral health any other dental course to back up ur application.
The foundation degree will allow u to be registered as a dental hygienist, whilst the bachelors is an optional degree for hygienists who want to also be a dental therapist xx

Hi did you have any other qualifications after nursing? I didn’t even get an interview and I also have access
Reply 3
Original post by Aaxmh
Hi did you have any other qualifications after nursing? I didn’t even get an interview and I also have access

No I have no other qualifications apart from GCSEs, my friend also only has a dental nursing diploma and he’s in the middle of his access course rn and also got an interview so I’m guessing ur personal statement makes a difference too?xx
No I have no other qualifications apart from GCSEs, my friend also only has a dental nursing diploma and he’s in the middle of his access course rn and also got an interview so I’m guessing ur personal statement makes a difference too?xx

hey i also wanted to ask if i could do a certificate of health and social care at essex as they gave me an offer for that and not dental hygiene which i initially applied for then do dental hygiene at any university afterwards? they haven’t given me much information on it sadly so i was wondering

Hi please can you advise help on the interview questions? And tips I have an upcoming interview and very nervous. Also advice on personal statement

Quick Reply

Latest