The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
waiting2smile
I should have titled the thread 'exclusively for females' - hence I wouldn't have had to witness any of your almost misogynistic views. What bothers me is that some members fail to see women as their equal…the ‘women are stronger’ was merely a joke because we're all stronger than each other in some aspects. Please only a joke...don't hurt me!

i bet you are regretting starting this thread now :P
Reply 101
waiting2smile
I should have titled the thread 'exclusively for females' - hence I wouldn't have had to witness any of your almost misogynistic views. What bothers me is that some members fail to see women as their equal…the ‘women are stronger’ was merely a joke because we're all stronger than each other in some aspects. Please only a joke...don't hurt me! And stop neg repping me!!!!!! I'm extremly sorry if I've caused any upset (dear god you're a sensitive lot!)!
I think it was merely "Chocolate Lover" who thought it was for real as it were. And stroked the males egos
Reply 102
Whenever I hear someone claim "women are smarter", I have to wonder what the world would be like if suddenly everything invented or discovered by a man disappeared.
Reply 103
waiting2smile
I'm bored... :tongue: so I'll set the popular myth that men are the stronger sex right, and maybe you can all follow on with more ideas why men will beg us for mercy when we sieze control of the world.

1) Women live longer
2) Men are unable to give birth, to keep the species going
3) Men are 4 x likely to commit suicide then women and are 3 x likely to die in an accident then women.
4) Women are smarter.

i dont understand why people try and find faults between men and women! it only creates more controversy.
Unfortunately this thread appears to have attracted most of the highly defensive male members. Can this thread now be closed? I've gradually become attached to my green gems :tongue:
Reply 105
waiting2smile
Unfortunately this thread appears to have attracted most of the highly defensive male members. Can this thread now be closed?

With a name like "Men are the weaker sex", you're surprised?
calumc

Not really, I just didn't expect such defensive/self-protective replies, some members however understood I wasn’t being entirely serious.
Reply 107
waiting2smile
Unfortunately this thread appears to have attracted most of the highly defensive male members. Can this thread now be closed? I've gradually become attached to my green gems :tongue:

If you lose a few more points I'll get to be on the first page of the members list!

Not that I want you to lose points, of course...
Reply 108
calumc

the lady was making a fair point. try disobeying a woman with a hard stare. nigh on impossible.
Reply 109
waiting2smile
Not really, I just didn't expect such defensive/self-protective replies, some members however understood I wasn’t being entirely serious.

Well, I did give a fairly light-hearted response myself.
Lord Huntroyde
If you lose a few more points I'll get to be on the first page of the members list!

Not that I want you to lost points, of course...

Hmm, you have motives... :tongue:

To Calumc - I noticed and I'm grateful. :smile:
waiting2smile
1) Women live longer
2) Men are unable to give birth, to keep the species going
3) Men are 4 x likely to commit suicide then women and are 3 x likely to die in an accident then women.
4) Women are smarter.

That settles it, I'm off to the gender realignment clinic.
Reply 112
imasillynarb
Yeh, and how many women have won those nobel prizes in the last 50 years? That was a pretty stupid comment really..

Nope, but your answer was pathetic. You clearly don't have a proper comeback so you attempt to insult....seems men can't even make coherent arguments anymore.
Just because the barriers to women were unblocked say 70 ish years ago, you can't suddenly expect all the women to be recieving nobel prizes in an instant. This is merely one generation of women, who began to filter into the academic institutions. Remember, it was abnormal before for girls to be in academic institutions....its a hard stereotype to break. Now though, we do infact have more female medics than male medics, which came about in the early/mid 90's. I suspect in the next 20/30 years you will be seeing lots more scientists and other academics who are female (and yes lots of female nobel prize winners), you can't judge by one generation, when men have had thousands of generations passing through academic institutions with the chance to become great scientists/academics.
Reply 113
BossLady
thousands of generations
A slight exaggeration?
BossLady
Just because the barriers to women were unblocked say 70 ish years ago, you can't suddenly expect all the women to be recieving nobel prizes in an instant. This is merely one generation of women, who began to filter into the academic institutions. Remember, it was abnormal before for girls to be in academic institutions....its a hard stereotype to break. Now though, we do infact have more female medics than male medics, which came about in the early/mid 90's. I suspect in the next 20/30 years you will be seeing lots more scientists and other academics who are female (and yes lots of female nobel prize winners), you can't judge by one generation, when men have had thousands of generations passing through academic institutions with the chance to become great scientists/academics.
I read a report a little while ago stating that the standard deviation in male intelligence was far greater than that of female. So, although a randomly selected female may well be more intelligent than a male, the highest intelligence is largely found within the male population (but also, conversely many dimwits are).

This would go some way to explaining the disproportionate male domination of academia, although obviously the social aspects also have to be considered, and no doubt there will be more of a balance, albeit to an extent, in years to come.

Regrettably, the source of which I can't remember (perhaps someone can back me up?). Whether it's true or not, who knows? Time will tell.
Reply 115
Alec
I read a report a little while ago stating that the standard deviation in male intelligence was far greater than that of female. So, although a randomly selected female may well be more intelligent than a male, the highest intelligence is largely found within the male population (but also, conversely many dimwits are).

This would go some way to explaining the disproportionate male domination of academia, although obviously the social aspects also have to be considered, and no doubt there will be more of a balance, albeit to an extent, in years to come.

Regrettably, the source of which I can't remember (perhaps someone can back me up?). Whether it's true or not, who knows? Time will tell.
This can be reflected nicely in the chess playing world. Where males dominate in the top 1000 World.
Alec

I don't know whether it's true or not either but I recall reading something about the y chromosome having greater genetic variability and that men's brains are considerably bigger (and heavier) than women's...!
Reply 117
girls - can also do 2 things at once men can't! its only wot i was taught lol
Reply 118
waiting2smile
I don't know whether it's true or not either but I recall reading something about the y chromosome having greater genetic variability and that men's brains are considerably bigger (and heavier) than women's...!

Trying to dig yourself out of the hole now? :tongue:
Zapsta
Trying to dig yourself out of the hole now? :tongue:

Not really, I'm being openminded. I think it's interesting that people argue men are more intelligent then women, and use genetics as evidence. But it's nice to know that currently women lead men in college degrees :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending