The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
waiting2smile
I am losing no battle, unless like George Bush you are also illiterate you will have understood my post was merely a joke, but because you and a few members feel threatened you've taken it the wrong way. Also you have a habit of copying other people's replies? Why?

dont let it get to you, he's quick to jump on the derogation bandwagon that one. also, he doesnt argue properly, just keeps insulting until the other shuts up. weird, cos he's a nice guy mostly these days!
Reply 141
imasillynarb
Since the 'supression' of women has stopped there has been more than 1 generation yet there still arent many women winning the nobel prize.

And you're going to repeat that like a broken record while I state what is wrong with that argument right?
I'll repeat it again, since you clearly did not read my post, and before you decide to reply I suggets you do read it, otherwise there is not point in you making a post.

One generation or one and a half if you want to be picky, allows very little time for women to have as many, or even make a dent in the number of nobels men have one. Back in the 50s it was still kind of weird to be at university anyway for a woman....the first generation who get in aren't suddenly going to jump to the top anyway are they? Plus even now, there are women in some countries who still don't have the same rights as many and so there will probably be less of them in academia, so this first generation isn't even a full generation, it's a portion of the world. The men on the other hand, have always had the opportunities, the favouritism, and have never had to compete against women to get nobels until women began entering academia. Before it was always a man who got the nobel because only men were allowed into academia anyway, now men and women go into it and that's why over the next 20 years you will see more women winning nobels.

Basically, when the bar is lifted from something, eveybody does not neccessarily flock to do it, at that time it was against the norm, now it isn't though and so....watch out for those women winning nobels soon!
Reply 142
waiting2smile
I am losing no battle, unless like George Bush you are also illiterate you will have understood my post was merely a joke, but because you and a few members feel threatened you've taken it the wrong way. Also you have a habit of copying other people's replies? Why?

jst quit while you're ahead.
Reply 143
DazzYaa7
jst quit while you're ahead.

if you're going to argue, why dont you actualy argue?
Reply 144
waiting2smile
I think you'll find it's simply better to not reply to his half witted comments. But it's interesting that women won't need men to procreate. :tongue:

Sometimes he does say the most pointless things!

It seems we may have no use for men one day hehehe! *evil laugh*
'
{ingnik']if you're going to argue, why dont you actualy argue?

Can we just ignore the fool? I should have known his 'i'm nice really' behaviour wouldn't last. I don't want this thread turning into another battle. Thanks. There are currently no mods online, otherwise I would call for this thread to be locked. :frown: You see I would like to retain my green gems :smile:
Reply 146
waiting2smile
Can we just ignore the fool? I should have known his 'i'm nice really' behaviour wouldn't last. I don't want this thread turning into another battle. Thanks. There are currently no mods <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=online&v=55">online</a>, otherwise I would call for this thread to be locked. :frown: I would like to retain my green gems :smile:

lol " i would like to retain my green gems "
Reply 147
BossLady
And you're going to repeat that like a broken record while I state what is wrong with that argument right?
I'll repeat it again, since you clearly did not read my post, and before you decide to reply I suggets you do read it, otherwise there is not point in you making a post.

One generation or one and a half if you want to be picky, allows very little time for women to have as many, or even make a dent in the number of nobels men have one. Back in the 50s it was still kind of weird to be at university anyway for a woman....the first generation who get in aren't suddenly going to jump to the top anyway are they? Plus even now, there are women in some countries who still don't have the same rights as many and so there will probably be less of them in academia, so this first generation isn't even a full generation, it's a portion of the world. The men on the other hand, have always had the opportunities, the favouritism, and have never had to compete against women to get nobels until women began entering academia. Before it was always a man who got the nobel because only men were allowed into academia anyway, now men and women go into it and that's why over the next 20 years you will see more women winning nobels.

Basically, when the bar is lifted from something, eveybody does not neccessarily flock to do it, at that time it was against the norm, now it isn't though and so....watch out for those women winning nobels soon!

Its been more like 3-4 generations - which is why your original arguement was wrong. Is there not less female mathematicians/physicists working in academia now than there ever has been? How is there going to be MORE nobel prize winners in the next 20 years if thats the case?
imasillynarb
Its been more like 3-4 generations - which is why your original arguement was wrong. Is there not less female mathematicians/physicists working in academia now than there ever has been? How is there going to be MORE nobel prize winners in the next 20 years if thats the case?

Women are making steady progress in traditionally male-dominated fields - (according to Economic Gender Equality Indicators). But the reason why it’s slow is because of the negative attitudes towards women, thus women are less confident about their success in male dominated fields especially since men receive somewhat more support from peers or mentors. If we’re going to see any improvement then we need encouragement rather than demoralising phrases like ‘men are better at physics’ etc…
Reply 149
imasillynarb

lol 3-4 generations? that would mean that a person lived like 30 years, which is a load of rubbish in this day and age. It's been 2 generations maximum. I don't know about your family, but most other people's grandmothers weren't encouraged to go to university (well if they're english...it was WW2 anyway).
BTW even if there are less and less women going into maths/phys (figures please for the proof, otherwise this is a random assumtpion)...there are certainly more women going into medicine/biological sci (i read this in some history book) and I suspect there are lots of women entering uni for english and other humanties too. Nobel prizes aren't given JUST for mathematical sciences, so how many going into mathematical sciences means absolutely nil, there are many academic subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending