The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you so much for your advice!! It has been my dream and I will do my best for it! Are you doing alevels as well?
Reply 2
Wow nice! Are u doing dentistry in the UK? Would u mind sharing your stats?

Original post by Ionomer
No worries!Yes I am doing my A levels but I'm in the upper sixth, but I got my offer frm HKU a while ago even though I'm probably not going to go :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hi! Idk why I can’t pm you but thank you for trusting me! I will keep it confidential for sure and you are AMAZING! Good luck with your study :biggrin:
Reply 4
lonomer, congratulations !! You must be very very smart as I heard that the competition is very keen. Would you mind sharing your stats with me too? Did HKU give you a conditional offer or unconditional offer? I am also very interested in HKU BDS.
Reply 5
No problem. I am planning to apply for it 2 years later and I would like to see what I can prepare earlier. And I wonder if I have to get all A* for my PG so as to get a conditional offer, which sounds very challenging. 😅 You think HKU will also look at the UCAT result?

Original post by Ionomer
Hey! Thanks! Err sorry I'd rather my stat sharing not become a habit, so maybe not. If you want me to do like an analysis thing based off your predicted/stats I'd be more than happy to help you with that though. I was given a conditional offer, no student is given an unconditional offer unless they have taken a gap year (which HKU doesn't look favourably on), or if they have a personal connection with the faculty.
Reply 6
Original post by Ionomer
I'm glad you're preparing a little bit earlier, I'm assuming you've probably just finished your GCSEs. Right now, I don't think you have to particularly do anything of importance yet, but if you are returning to HK over the summer I would encourage you to research a bit more on dentistry. With regards to the minimum grades I will have to say yes, predicted all A*s is the minimum. Everybody I know of who applied to HKU dentistry had either 3 A*s + A* at AS/EPQ, 4A*s, or 5A*s, or a predicted IB score of 42-45. And whilst correlation isn't causation, in my experience this stands true for any dental applicant, particularly one from a non-jupas background applying, considering the minimum offer is A*A*A.

I'm not entirely sure if they look at your UCAT score. Technically it isn't a requirement, but if you get a particularly high UCAT score then putting it on your CV will help. Personally, I think my score probably was something that really stood out for them, and maybe helped me get my interview although I can't be sure. If you get a score below 2900 then no, I personally would not put it on my CV as most (but not all) HKU applicants will have scores pretty much above that.

Thank you very much for your tips. I am actually new to TSR so I cannot use pm yet. Wish you all the best with your studies. :smile:
Reply 7
Hi guys, I am also a local studying a levels in the uk. My pgs are 4 a*s in physics, chemistry, maths and further maths, and I've got a day's and a week's work experience at a dental clinic and a gp respectively. (As I can't find a week's work experience at a dental clinic:frown: ) I will also take my ucat this summer. But I don't have any volunteering experience or extra curricular activities.

Is there a high chance for me to be interviewed or even getting an offer?
Apart from studying for a levels/ucat, writing my personal statement and preparing for the interview is there anything i can do?
And do I have to get more work experience/volunteering experience?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by yy11
Hi! I am a local student currently studying in the UK for the Alevels. I have always wanted to be a dentist but I didn’t do well in my AS Biology and I am not sure if I can get a predicted A*. Does anyone know is A*A*A good enough for applying to dentistry in HKU? Cheers

No, at least 3A*s. I have 3A*s achieved and A* epq and no interview
Reply 9
Original post by Ionomer
Hey! So first off, great predicted grades (I think Biology is preferred although I am not 100% sure about this), so that's a plus, because you've essentially passed the first step in shortlisting. I would be kind of concerned about the minimal dental work experience, and moreover, the lack of volunteering/extracurriculars. GP shadowing is good and all, and I'm hoping you took notes/asked lots of questions whilst you were there, but in my opinion (and experience) GP does not share many characteristics with clinical dentistry, obviously aside from some aspects of communication with patients as well as things like working with a local community/local team/continuity of care/idk note-taking or something.

How I see it for HKU, is at least 3/4 A*s (which you've got so yay), 1 or 2 weeks of work experience. A lack of work experience usually isn't a problem if the candidate has done sufficient volunteering (as volunteering is something quite easy to come by, but less true in this case), and you can be sure that your American counterparts (ie those who do IB), will be involved with an insane number of charities and organizations for over 2 years. I would be really going all out in terms of charity work right now considering that you have some more spare time as it is summer holidays, so you can describe it as hours done (I think a good number is 100+) and not the duration (ie a year+). They will probe you about things you have learnt in your work experience, and typically doing actual work experience is what proves candidates have a realistic idea of dentistry and it being something they genuinely want to do. Having no extracurriculars such as music or sport doesn't help either, as it is something that will be assessed as work-life balance is important to HKU.

I don't know much else about your profile, but as of now I would say that you would be 60% of the way there to getting an interview (since you have the grades) and a significantly lower chance of passing the interview (due to lack of WE/volunteering/extracurriculars). Apart from ALs/UKCAT/PS/Interview prep, you should probably be looking into doing dental work experience. If possible, do some work experience, and please do some more volunteering. A good introduction into volunteering at your age would be something called HandsonHongKong which is something many of my peers used when starting, but if you're looking into something more regular then I would doing more specific research.

wow ur really active on this thread fellow soon to be classmate
Hi I would like to pm you regarding HKU BDS entry with IB grades (may 2023) and whether it can be used for 2024 entry as I will be taking a gap year.
Reply 11
Original post by annoymous420420
Hi I would like to pm you regarding

HKU BDS entry with IB grades (may 2023) and whether it can be used for 2024 entry as I will be taking a gap year.

Hi! Do u mind PMing this to me? Thank you!
Original post by yy11
Hi! Do u mind PMing this to me? Thank you!

it seems I can't Pm u yet can you try?
Original post by Ionomer
Hey! So first off, great predicted grades (I think Biology is preferred although I am not 100% sure about this), so that's a plus, because you've essentially passed the first step in shortlisting. I would be kind of concerned about the minimal dental work experience, and moreover, the lack of volunteering/extracurriculars. GP shadowing is good and all, and I'm hoping you took notes/asked lots of questions whilst you were there, but in my opinion (and experience) GP does not share many characteristics with clinical dentistry, obviously aside from some aspects of communication with patients as well as things like working with a local community/local team/continuity of care/idk note-taking or something.

How I see it for HKU, is at least 3/4 A*s (which you've got so yay), 1 or 2 weeks of work experience. A lack of work experience usually isn't a problem if the candidate has done sufficient volunteering (as volunteering is something quite easy to come by, but less true in this case), and you can be sure that your American counterparts (ie those who do IB), will be involved with an insane number of charities and organizations for over 2 years. I would be really going all out in terms of charity work right now considering that you have some more spare time as it is summer holidays, so you can describe it as hours done (I think a good number is 100+) and not the duration (ie a year+). They will probe you about things you have learnt in your work experience, and typically doing actual work experience is what proves candidates have a realistic idea of dentistry and it being something they genuinely want to do. Having no extracurriculars such as music or sport doesn't help either, as it is something that will be assessed as work-life balance is important to HKU.

I don't know much else about your profile, but as of now I would say that you would be 60% of the way there to getting an interview (since you have the grades) and a significantly lower chance of passing the interview (due to lack of WE/volunteering/extracurriculars). Apart from ALs/UKCAT/PS/Interview prep, you should probably be looking into doing dental work experience. If possible, do some work experience, and please do some more volunteering. A good introduction into volunteering at your age would be something called HandsonHongKong which is something many of my peers used when starting, but if you're looking into something more regular then I would doing more specific research.

Can i pm you to ask abt bds applications for gap year and iB
Would like to apply as well but I’m afraid that my predicted grades are too low to even get an interview invitation:’))
Original post by dentistjoe
Would like to apply as well but I’m afraid that my predicted grades are too low to even get an interview invitation:’))

What’s ur predicted
HKU BDS aren't accepting international students this year so...
Original post by patpatpong
What’s ur predicted

My school doesn’t tell us but I’ve heard that they’re very strict with it
Reply 18
Hi, I am highly interested in applying to HKU BDS and I am a hk student who is currently studying in uk. I’ve got 3 A* predicted. Is it good enough to give me an interview chance? Also, do they have a minimum requirement of working experience? And how competitive it is to get in? Your response is appreciated.
Original post by (-+-) 000
Hi, I am highly interested in applying to HKU BDS and I am a hk student who is currently studying in uk. I’ve got 3 A* predicted. Is it good enough to give me an interview chance? Also, do they have a minimum requirement of working experience? And how competitive it is to get in? Your response is appreciated.

Can try but ur chances r pretty slim cuz I was in ur position and didn’t even get anything

Latest